The Florida A&M Rattlers (1-11), who are currently riding a seven-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they visit F.G. Clark Center to meet the Southern University Jaguars (2-8). Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 14, 2017.
Florida A&M Rattlers vs. Southern University Jaguars Betting Preview
In the Rattlers last contest, they fell to the North Florida Ospreys, 101-89. With 30 points on 12-for-19 shooting, Marcus Barham was the games leading scorer. North Florida made 16 of their 35 three pointers (45.7 percent). Florida A&M, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.186 (above their season average of 0.169).
The Jaguars are trying to rebound after their 91-60 loss to the Iowa Hawkeyes in their last contest. With 11 points and 10 rebounds, Southern University’s Jarred Sam played well. Iowa made 13 of their 32 three pointers (40.6 percent). Southern University, meanwhile, held the Hawkeyes to an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 (below their season average of 39.5).
The offensive glass should be a major advantage for Southern University in this showdown. The Jaguars are among the NCAA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 75th in offensive rebounding percentage at 30.6 percent. Meanwhile, Florida A&M ranks 339th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 63.2 percent.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Rattlers, it’s been Desmond Williams, who has averaged 16.2 points and 5.4 rebounds, while the Jaguars have gotten solid contributions from Sam (18.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Jaguars won the only contest played against each other last season, 83-71. The Jaguars dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 45.2 and a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.564. The Rattlers were 25.5 and 0.375, respectively, for those same stats.
Florida A&M Rattlers at Southern University Jaguars Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Southern University, ATS Winner – Southern University, O/U – Over
- The Rattlers rank 244th in three pointers attempted per game (17.7) while the Jaguars rank 264th (18.3).
- Southern University ranks 216th in assists per game (10.9) while Florida A&M ranks 230th (11.0).
- Southern University ranks 100th in rebounds per game (35.1) while Florida A&M ranks 229th (33.2).
- The Jaguars rank 92nd in blocks per game (2.4) while the Rattlers rank 168th in blocks allowed per game (4.5).
- Southern University averages 5.4 steals per game, which ranks 151st in the nation. Florida A&M ranks 178th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- The Jaguars average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.0, down from 15.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rattlers have scored an average of 66.6 points per game (4.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 84.8 points per game (4.5 above their season average).