The Hampton Pirates (17-14, 12-4 MEAC) and the Florida A&M Rattlers (9-24, 8-9 MEAC) go head-to-head in the Mid-Eastern Conference Tourney at Norfolk Scope Arena. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
Florida A&M Rattlers vs. Hampton Pirates Free Preview
The Rattlers beat the Howard Bison in their last matchup, 88-78. Elijah Mayes was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Florida A&M dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.580 (above their season average of 0.225) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.590 (above their season average of 0.472). For those same stats, Howard put up marks of 0.238 and 0.500, respectively.
In the Pirates’ last matchup, they beat the Norfolk State Spartans, 74-71. Hampton received a boost from Malique Trent-Street, who finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds. The Pirates knocked down 10 of their 13 free throws (76.9 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.516 (above their season average of 0.498).
Hampton could have their way on the defensive side of the ball as they clash against one of the NCAA’s worst offenses. The Pirates currently rank 43rd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.476), while Florida A&M is 320th in effective field goal percentage (0.475).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Rattlers, it’s been Desmond Williams, who has averaged 18.0 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.2 steals, while the Pirates have received solid contributions from Trent-Street (15.0 points, 4.4 assists and 1.6 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The Rattlers won 75-71. Florida A&M launched 21 three pointers, making 10 of them (47.6 percent), while Hampton was 5-23 (21.7 percent). Williams had a stellar game, with 19 points and seven rebounds.
Florida A&M Rattlers vs. Hampton Pirates Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Hampton, ATS Winner – Hampton, O/U – Over
- The Pirates rank 271st in three pointers attempted per game (18.1) while the Rattlers rank 272nd (18.1).
- Hampton averages 40.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 11th in the NCAA. Florida A&M ranks 284th in rebounds allowed per game (38.9).
- The Pirates rank 66th in assists per game (15.2) while the Rattlers rank 269th (10.9).
- Florida A&M averages 3.2 blocks per game, which ranks 134th in the nation. Hampton ranks 140th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- The Pirates’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.0, up from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rattlers have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (9.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.2 points per game (2.9 below their season average).