The UAB Blazers (19-12, 10-8 CUSA) and the Florida Atlantic Owls (12-18, 6-12 CUSA) face off in the Conference USA Conference Tourney at Ford Center at The Star. UAB is a 9-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 137.5 points. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
Florida Atlantic Owls vs. UAB Blazers Odds Preview
The Owls lost to the Charlotte 49ers in their last contest, 85-78. Ronald Delph had a solid game for Florida Atlantic, leading the team in scoring with 19 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Charlotte did an excellent job of making free throws (30-32; 93.8 percent). Florida Atlantic, on the other hand, held the 49ers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.4 (below their season average of 26.6).
In the Blazers’ last matchup, they thoroughly outplayed the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, 101-73. UAB was led by Zack Bryant, who contributed 17 points, eight rebounds and five assists. UAB played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.742 (above their season average of 0.538) and a turnover percentage of 14.2 (better than their season average of 16.7). For those same stats, Western Kentucky recorded marks of 0.484 and 17.5, respectively.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, this appears to be a balanced matchup. The elite UAB offense ranks 53rd in the NCAA in that metric at 0.545, while the stingy Florida Atlantic defense is ranked 51st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.480). Additionally, the Owls rank 281st in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.207), while the Blazers rank 18th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.180).
Games involving these teams have a tendency to finish under the projected point total. Florida Atlantic games have gone under 60.0 percent of the time, while 56.0 percent of UAB games have finished under. The Blazers have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (19-12 vs. 12-18) and a slight edge against the spread (ATS) (12-13 vs. 11-14).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Owls, it’s been Delph, who has averaged 18.6 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.8 blocks, while the Blazers have received solid contributions from Bryant (12.8 points and 1.4 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 119 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 142. The Blazers won 75-44, covering as 7-point favorites. The Blazers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.605 and a free throw rate of 0.105. The Owls had marks of 0.320 and 0.082, respectively, for those same stats. Chris Cokley recorded a double-double with 24 points and 10 rebounds.
Florida Atlantic Owls vs. UAB Blazers ATS Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – UAB, ATS Winner – UAB, O/U – Under
- The Owls average 5.8 steals per game, which ranks 160th in the NCAA. The Blazers rank 192nd in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- Florida Atlantic averages 4.1 blocks per game, which ranks 58th in the nation. UAB ranks 89th in blocks allowed per game (3.1).
- Florida Atlantic ranks 25th in three pointers allowed per game (18.8) while UAB ranks 294th (26.3).
- The Blazers rank 10th in assists per game (17.2) while the Owls rank 236th (11.9).
- UAB ranks 26th in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while Florida Atlantic ranks 250th (37.6).
- UAB is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Florida Atlantic is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- The Blazers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.4, down from 8.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Owls have scored an average of 73.8 points per game (4.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (2.2 above their season average).