The Minnesota Golden Gophers (10-3) welcome the Florida Atlantic Owls (6-5) in a matchup that pits great offense against stifling defense. Action starts at 3:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 23, 2017.
Florida Atlantic Owls at Minnesota Golden Gophers ATS Preview
In the Owls last matchup, they were blown out by the No. 21 Texas Tech Red Raiders, 90-54. Ronald Delph put together a good performance for Florida Atlantic, recording 16 points and six rebounds. Texas Tech’s 9.9 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over Florida Atlantic, who had a mark of 23.5. The Red Raiders mark was better than their season average of 15.5, while the Owls was above their season average of 14.4.
The Golden Gophers hope to maintain momentum after topping the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles in their last game, 77-63. Minnesota rallied around Jordan Murphy, who led the team in scoring with 17 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Minnesota dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.365 (above their season average of 0.277) and a turnover percentage of 10.7 (better than their season average of 13.4). Oral Roberts recorded marks of 0.121 and 16.4, respectively, for those same stats.
This matchup pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Minnesota currently ranks 45th in offensive efficiency and Florida Atlantic is 59th in defensive efficiency.Nate Mason has really been playing well over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 18.0 points, 5.2 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
Florida Atlantic Owls at Minnesota Golden Gophers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Florida Atlantic, ATS Winner – Florida Atlantic, O/U – Under
- The Owls rank 27th in three pointers allowed per game (18.2) while the Golden Gophers rank 134th (22.0).
- Minnesota ranks 30th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Florida Atlantic ranks 87th (6.2).
- Minnesota ranks 32nd in assists per game (17.2) while Florida Atlantic ranks 201st (11.8).
- The Golden Gophers average 42.5 rebounds per game, which ranks eighth in the NCAA. The Owls rank 169th in rebounds allowed per game (36.1).
- Florida Atlantic ranks 14th in blocks allowed per game (2.1) while Minnesota ranks 153rd (4.6).
- The Golden Gophers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.2, down from 11.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Owls have scored an average of 81.6 points per game (5.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.6 points per game (4.4 above their season average).