Expect a high-scoring game when the No. 11 Wichita State Shockers (9-2) and the FGCU Eagles (7-6) go head-to-head at Charles Koch Arena. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
FGCU Eagles vs. Wichita State Shockers ATS Preview
The Eagles lost a close one to the FIU Golden Panthers in their last matchup, 91-88. With 24 points on 8-for-14 shooting, Brandon Goodwin led FGCU in scoring. FIU had a free throw rate of 0.558 (above their season average of 0.197). FGCU, meanwhile, held the Golden Panthers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below the 29.3 mark opponents have averaged against FGCU this season).
The last time the Shockers played, they topped the Arkansas State Red Wolves, 89-80. With 27 points on 11-for-17 shooting, Samajae Haynes-Jones led Wichita State in scoring. Wichita State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 15.4) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.2 (above their season average of 34.7). Arkansas State put up marks of 17.0 and 31.0, respectively, for those same stats.
This battle figures to be a shootout as a pair of the NCAA’s best offenses clash. Wichita State ranks 13th with 120.6 points per 100 possessions and FGCU is 57th (113.9). Furthermore, the Eagles rank 39th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.5 percent), while the Shockers rank fifth in defensive rebounding percentage (78.4 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. FGCU games have finished under 100.0 percent of the time, while games involving Wichita State have gone over 55.6 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Shockers have a clear advantage. They are 9-2 SU and 4-5 ATS, while the Eagles are 7-6 SU and 2-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Eagles, it’s been Goodwin, who has averaged 21.2 points, 6.0 assists and 1.2 steals, while the Shockers have gotten great contributions from Darral Willis Jr. (14.0 points and 8.0 rebounds).
FGCU Eagles vs. Wichita State Shockers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wichita State, ATS Winner – Wichita State, O/U – Over
- The Shockers rank seventh in rebounds per game (43.0) while the Eagles rank 65th (38.5).
- FGCU averages 7.1 steals per game, which ranks 77th in the NCAA. Wichita State ranks 83rd in steals allowed per game (6.1).
- FGCU ranks 54th in three pointers allowed per game (19.5) while Wichita State ranks 258th (27.5).
- The Eagles rank 36th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Shockers rank 113th (3.6).
- Wichita State ranks 14th in assists per game (18.3) while FGCU ranks 91st (15.0).
- The Shockers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.0, down from 15.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 80.2 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 85.0 points per game (10.4 above their season average).