Offense meets defense when the FGCU Eagles (7-5) head to FIU to take on the Golden Panthers (5-6). Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017.
FGCU Eagles vs. FIU Golden Panthers Betting Preview
In the Eagles last matchup, they lost big to the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles, 83-64. With 20 points on 7-for-12 shooting, Brandon Goodwin led FGCU in scoring. Oral Roberts out-rebounded FGCU. The Golden Eagles had more offensive rebounds (17 vs. eight), defensive rebounds (23 vs. 12) and total rebounds (40 vs. 20).
The Golden Panthers are hoping for a better outcome after their 76-67 loss to the James Madison Dukes in their last game. With 17 points and seven rebounds, FIU’s Hassan Hussein put together a solid game. James Madison did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (22-27; 81.5 percent). FIU, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.8 (above their season average of 22.3).
FGCU could have a difficult time creating turnovers. FIU ranks 16th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.5 percent), while FGCU forces the 180th-most turnovers (19.4 percent). Also, the 54th-ranked offense of the Eagles (offensive efficiency of 114.1) will battle against the 56th-ranked defense of the Golden Panthers (defensive efficiency of 94.5).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Eagles, it’s been Goodwin, who has averaged 18.2 points, 5.6 rebounds and 5.4 assists, while the Golden Panthers have gotten solid contributions from Brian Beard Jr. (17.4 points, 4.0 assists and 3.8 steals).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Eagles won the sole game last season, 82-63. FGCU had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (46.2 vs. 25.0). FIU, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (21-26; 80.8 percent).
FGCU Eagles at FIU Golden Panthers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – FIU, ATS Winner – FIU, O/U – Over
- The Eagles average 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 88th in the nation. The Golden Panthers rank 117th in assists allowed per game (13.5).
- FGCU ranks 63rd in rebounds allowed per game (32.7) while FIU ranks 243rd (40.7).
- The Golden Panthers rank 16th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while the Eagles rank 119th (6.8).
- FGCU ranks 39th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while FIU ranks 68th (3.1).
- The Golden Panthers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 85.6 points per game (3.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 79.0 points per game (5.8 above their season average).