MAAC foes will battle when the Canisius Golden Griffins (17-9, 11-2 MAAC) take on the Fairfield Stags (10-14, 5-8 MAAC) at Koessler Athletic Center. Canisius opened as a 7-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 150.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, February 12, 2018.
Fairfield Stags at Canisius Golden Griffins Odds Preview
The Stags fell to the Niagara Purple Eagles in their last outing, 95-83. Aidas Kavaliauskas had a solid game for Fairfield, contributing 14 points and six assists. Niagara did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (15-17; 88.2 percent). Fairfield, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (12.0 vs. 15.3).
The last time the Golden Griffins played, they topped the Quinnipiac Bobcats, 71-64. Canisius was led by Isaiah Reese, who contributed 13 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists. The Golden Griffins made 14 of their 19 free throws (73.7 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 9.4 (better than their season average of 17.0).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Canisius should have a substantial advantage. The sharp-shooting Golden Griffins offense ranks 81st in the NCAA in that metric at 0.538, while the Fairfield defense is ranked 289th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.531).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Fairfield games have gone over 65.0 percent of the time, while 58.3 percent of games including Canisius have gone under. The Golden Griffins come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 17-9 SU and 15-8-1 ATS, while the Stags are 10-14 SU and 9-11 ATS.
Jermaine Crumpton has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Canisius, averaging 21.2 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent matchup, the Stags won 58-55. Fairfield’s 0.113 free throw rate was their largest strength over Canisius, who had a rate of 0.079.
Fairfield Stags vs. Canisius Golden Griffins Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Canisius, ATS Winner – Canisius, O/U – Over
- The Golden Griffins rank 27th in steals allowed per game (5.0) while the Stags rank 117th (6.2).
- Canisius allows the 28th-fewest blocks per game (2.5) while Fairfield ranks 60th (2.9).
- Fairfield is 3-9 ATS on the road with 7 overs and 5 unders.
- Canisius is 8-2-1 ATS at home with 6 overs and 5 unders.
- Canisius ranks 116th in rebounds allowed per game (34.1) while Fairfield ranks 243rd (37.8).
- The Golden Griffins average 17.1 assists per game, which ranks 18th in the NCAA. The Stags rank 144th in assists allowed per game (13.5).
- Canisius ranks 31st in three pointers allowed per game (19.0) while Fairfield ranks 134th (21.7).
- Canisius is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Fairfield is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Golden Griffins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, up from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Stags have scored an average of 82.6 points per game (7.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.6 points per game (4.5 above their season average).