The Fairfield Stags (8-13, 3-7 MAAC) will try to put an end to a five-game road losing streak when they take on the Monmouth Hawks (7-14, 3-6 MAAC) at OceanFirst Bank Center. Monmouth opened as a 4.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 151 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, February 2, 2018.
Fairfield Stags vs. Monmouth Hawks Betting Preview
The Stags won a close one over the Iona Gaels in their last matchup, 103-100. Tyler Nelson was the top scorer from either team with 32 points on 10-for-19 shooting. Fairfield played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.630 (above their season average of 0.507) and a free throw rate of 0.151 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Iona was 0.571 and 0.141, respectively.
In the Hawks last game, they were defeated by the Rider Broncs, 92-85. With 18 points, 11 assists and six rebounds, Austin Tilghman had a good performance for Monmouth. Rider was lights out from beyond the arc (13-31; 41.9 percent). Monmouth, meanwhile, held the Broncs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.9 (below their season average of 34.5).
There should be plenty of transition action in this contest that features two of the NCAA’s more fast-paced teams. Monmouth currently ranks 43rd in possessions per game (73.2) and Fairfield is 54th (72.8).
Both of these teams tend to go over the O/U total. Games including Fairfield have finished over 58.8 percent of the time, while Monmouth games have finished over 58.8 percent of the time. The Stags have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (8-13 vs. 7-14), but both teams have the same against the spread (ATS) record (7-10).
Nelson has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Fairfield, averaging 22.8 points, 4.6 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Hawks won both games last season. In the last game, Monmouth won 82-62. Monmouth had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.664 vs. 0.381). Fairfield, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (10.2 vs. 18.7).
Fairfield Stags at Monmouth Hawks Free Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Monmouth, ATS Winner – Fairfield, O/U – Over
- The Stags rank 45th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Hawks rank 115th (3.6).
- Fairfield averages 6.1 steals per game, which ranks 131st in the nation. Monmouth ranks 157th in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- Fairfield is 2-8 ATS on the road, while Monmouth is 3-3 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Hawks 6 home games, while 5 of the Stags 10 road games have gone over.
- Fairfield ranks 27th in three pointers attempted per game (26.9) while Monmouth ranks 256th (18.0).
- The Hawks rank 134th in rebounds per game (36.0) while the Stags rank 238th in rebounds allowed per game (37.8).
- Fairfield ranks 69th in assists per game (15.3) while Monmouth ranks 160th in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- Monmouth is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Fairfield is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.2, down from 2.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Stags have scored an average of 90.8 points per game (15.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 89.0 points per game (11.0 above their season average).