MAAC foes will battle when the Iona Gaels (7-7, 2-1 MAAC) clash with the Fairfield Stags (6-8, 1-2 MAAC) at Hynes Athletics Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 154 points with Iona opening as a 7.5-point favorite. Action begins at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
Fairfield Stags vs. Iona Gaels Odds Preview
The last time the Stags played, they were blown out by the Rider Broncs, 96-77. With 21 points on 7-for-12 shooting, Tyler Nelson was Fairfield’s high scorer. Rider’s turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Fairfield. The Broncs had a rate of 13.1 (better than their season average of 14.1), while the Stags posted a mark of 21.1 (above their season average of 17.0).
The Gaels will look to keep it rolling after defeating the Saint Peter’s Peacocks in their last matchup, 73-69. Iona rallied around Rickey McGill, who led the team in scoring with 19 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Iona’s 16.8 turnover percentage was their largest strength over Saint Peter’s, who had a mark of 26.5. The Gaels mark was worse than their season average of 15.1, while the Peacocks was above their season average of 16.0.
Fairfield could have a tough time creating turnovers. Iona ranks 74th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.2 percent), while Fairfield forces the 235th-most turnovers (18.4 percent).
Of Fairfield’s 10 games that accepted bets, six have finished over the O/U total, while 6 of Iona’s 11 games have finished over the O/U total. The Gaels hold a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 7-7 SU and 6-4-1 ATS, while the Stags are 6-8 SU and 5-5 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Gaels won the most recent game 96-89. Iona did a fantastic job of making free throws (20-23; 87.0 percent). Fairfield, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (24.3 vs. 18.5).
Fairfield Stags vs. Iona Gaels Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Iona, ATS Winner – Iona, O/U – Over
- The Stags rank 43rd in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Gaels rank 82nd (3.2).
- Iona averages 16.0 assists per game, which ranks 55th in the NCAA. Fairfield ranks 94th in assists allowed per game (12.6).
- Iona is 1-1 ATS at home, while Fairfield is 2-5 ATS on the road.
- The Stags have 4 overs and 3 unders in 7 road games.
- In 2 home games, the Gaels have 1 over and 1 under.
- Iona averages 27.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 19th in the NCAA. Fairfield ranks 164th in three pointers allowed per game (22.8).
- The Gaels rank 38th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Stags rank 125th (6.8).
- Fairfield averages 35.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 162nd in the nation. Iona ranks 221st in rebounds allowed per game (38.1).
- Iona is 2-2 ATS with 4 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Fairfield is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Gaels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.0, up from 0.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Stags have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (0.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.6 points per game (1.3 below their season average).