The Evansville Aces (12-9, 2-6 MVC) can snap a five-game road losing streak when they square off with the Valparaiso Crusaders (11-10, 2-6 MVC) at Athletics-Recreation Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 131 points with Valparaiso set as a 3.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Evansville Aces vs. Valparaiso Crusaders Free Preview
The Aces fell to the Bradley Braves in their last matchup, 66-53. Blake Simmons had a good game for Evansville, leading the team in scoring with 12 points on 4-for-10 shooting. Bradley held the Aces to an effective field goal percentage of 0.377 (below their season average of 0.520). Evansville, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (18.4 vs. 19.5).
In the Crusaders last matchup, they were defeated by the Loyola Chicago Ramblers, 70-54. Bakari Evelyn was the games leading scorer with 19 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Loyola Chicago had a turnover percentage of 11.6 (better than their season average of 18.8). Valparaiso, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.191 vs. 0.182).
Valparaiso might have difficulty putting up points as they battle against one of the nations best defenses. Evansville ranks 84th in defensive efficiency while the Crusaders rank 249th in offensive efficiency. Also, the Aces rank 30th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.292), while the Crusaders rank 319th in opponents FTA rate (0.295).
Games involving these teams have typically gone under the O/U total. Evansville games have gone under 70.6 percent of the time, while 66.7 percent of Valparaiso games have gone under. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (12-9 for Evansville; 11-10 for Valparaiso), but the Aces have the edge against the spread (ATS). Evansville is 10-7 ATS, while the Crusaders are 9-9.
Evansville Aces at Valparaiso Crusaders Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Valparaiso, ATS Winner – Valparaiso, O/U – Over
- The Crusaders rank 211th in three pointers attempted per game (19.9) while the Aces rank 292nd (13.8).
- Valparaiso averages 7.9 steals per game, which ranks 28th in the nation. Evansville ranks 179th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- The Crusaders rank 120th in rebounds per game (36.5) while the Aces rank 244th (33.0).
- Valparaiso ranks 50th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while Evansville ranks 135th (4.0).
- The Crusaders have scored an equal number of points as their opponents. For the season, Valparaiso has defeated opponents by an average of 3.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Aces have scored an average of 63.2 points per game (4.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.4 points per game (1.7 below their season average).