The No. 4 Duke Blue Devils (11-1) look to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Evansville when they welcome the Aces (10-2) to Cameron Indoor Stadium. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 147 points with Duke opening as a 28-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Evansville Aces at Duke Blue Devils Betting Preview
The Aces won big over the Midway Eagles in their last matchup, 79-52. With 15 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists, Evansville’s K.J. Riley played well. Evansville dominated every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.407 (above their season average of 0.314) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.7 (above their season average of 28.1). Midway put up marks of 0.107 and 16.7, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Blue Devils last game, they were dismantled by the Boston College Eagles, 89-84. With 15 points and 12 rebounds, Duke’s Marvin Bagley III had a good outing. Boston College was lights out from beyond the arc (15-26; 57.7 percent). Duke, on the other hand, forced the Eagles into a turnover percentage of 20.1 (above their season average of 15.9).
This game should be a matchup of contrasting styles. Duke has preferred to play fast (42nd in possessions per game), while Evansville has been more methodical (327th in possessions per game). Also, the Aces rank 19th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.322), while the Blue Devils rank 15th in opponents FTA rate (0.163).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Evansville games have gone under 75.0 percent of the time, while games including Duke have finished over 100.0 percent of the time. Both teams have superb straight up (SU) records (10-2 for Evansville; 11-1 for Duke), but the Blue Devils have the edge against the spread (ATS). Duke is 7-3 ATS, while the Aces are 6-2.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Aces, it’s been Blake Simmons, who has averaged 14.4 points and 3.2 assists, while the Blue Devils have gotten solid contributions from Bagley III (25.4 points and 12.6 rebounds).
Evansville Aces vs. Duke Blue Devils Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Duke, ATS Winner – Evansville, O/U – Under
- The Blue Devils rank 28th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while the Aces rank 145th (3.8).
- Duke ranks 20th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while Evansville ranks 76th (7.3).
- Duke ranks second in rebounds per game (45.4) while Evansville ranks 185th (34.5).
- The Blue Devils rank third in assists per game (19.9) while the Aces rank 134th (14.8).
- Duke ranks 151st in three pointers attempted per game (21.4) while Evansville ranks 272nd (13.7).
- The Blue Devils average margin of victory in their last five games has been 16.2, down from 18.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Aces have scored an average of 82.2 points per game (9.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 63.2 points per game (1.3 above their season average).