MVC foes will collide when the Southern Illinois Salukis (9-6, 1-1 MVC) challenge the Evansville Aces (10-5, 0-2 MVC) at SIU Arena. Southern Illinois is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 130 points. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Evansville Aces at Southern Illinois Salukis Odds Preview
The Aces lost to the Loyola Chicago Ramblers in their last contest, 66-59. Evansville’s Ryan Taylor put together a good performance, leading both teams in scoring with 20 points on 8-for-16 shooting. Loyola Chicago did a great job of converting from the free throw line (16-22; 72.7 percent). Evansville, meanwhile, held the Ramblers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.4 (below their season average of 23.1).
In the Salukis last matchup, they were beaten by the Drake Bulldogs, 70-67. Armon Fletcher led Southern Illinois in scoring with 15 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Drake did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (13-17; 76.5 percent). Southern Illinois, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.6 (above their season average of 25.3).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the nations slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Southern Illinois currently ranks 286th in possessions per game (67.9) and Evansville is 341st (64.9).
Both of these teams have typically finished under the O/U total. Games including Evansville have finished under 72.7 percent of the time, while Southern Illinois games have finished under 60.0 percent of the time. The Aces hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 10-5 SU and 7-4 ATS, while the Salukis are 9-6 SU and 4-6 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, the Aces won 75-70. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Evansville’s biggest strengths. They had 25 free throw attempts, while Southern Illinois had 23.
Evansville Aces vs. Southern Illinois Salukis Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Southern Illinois, ATS Winner – Southern Illinois, O/U – Under
- The Salukis rank 220th in three pointers attempted per game (19.0) while the Aces rank 275th (13.5).
- Southern Illinois averages 6.3 steals per game, which ranks 114th in the NCAA. Evansville ranks 158th in steals allowed per game (7.5).
- Evansville is 4-2 ATS on the road, while Southern Illinois is 2-2 ATS at home.
- Of the Aces 6 road games, they have 5 unders and 1 over.
- The Salukis have 3 unders and 1 over in 4 home games.
- Evansville ranks eighth in rebounds allowed per game (29.7) while Southern Illinois ranks 148th (35.6).
- The Salukis rank 31st in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Aces rank 129th (4.2).
- Southern Illinois ranks 32nd in assists allowed per game (11.1) while Evansville ranks 116th (13.3).
- Southern Illinois is 2-2 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Evansville is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Salukis average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.2, up from 3.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Aces have scored an average of 64.4 points per game (4.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.6 points per game (7.9 above their season average).