The Indiana State Sycamores (5-6) will be at home in Hulman Center when they square off with the Elon Phoenix (7-5). Indiana State is a 4-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 137 points. Action begins at 6 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Elon Phoenix vs. Indiana State Sycamores Betting Preview
The Phoenix fell to the Canisius Golden Griffins in their last matchup, 67-51. Elon’s Brian Dawkins had a solid game, leading the team in scoring with 13 points on 5-for-13 shooting. Canisius free throw rate was their largest strength over Elon. The Golden Griffins had a rate of 0.143 (below their season average of 0.180), while the Phoenix posted a mark of 0.056 (below their season average of 0.171).
The last time the Sycamores played, they were defeated by the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, 81-65. Brenton Scott led Indiana State in scoring with 16 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Western Kentucky had a free throw rate of 0.302 (above their season average of 0.240). Indiana State, meanwhile, held the Hilltoppers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.2 (below their season average of 31.3).
A focal point for the Indiana State offense is getting to the free throw line. The Sycamores rank 55th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.284), but Elon is among the best in the NCAA at keeping opponents away from the charity stripe (ranking first by yielding a FTA rate of 0.094).
Both of these teams have a tendency to finish over the O/U total. Elon games have finished over 62.5 percent of the time, while games including Indiana State have finished over 66.7 percent of the time. The Phoenix hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (7-5 vs. 5-6), but the Sycamores have been better against the spread (ATS) (3-5-1 vs. 1-7).
Elon Phoenix at Indiana State Sycamores Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Elon, ATS Winner – Elon, O/U – Under
- The Sycamores rank 67th in steals per game (7.3) while the Phoenix rank 115th in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- Elon ranks 68th in assists per game (15.7) while Indiana State ranks 86th in assists allowed per game (12.5).
- Indiana State ranks 75th in three pointers allowed per game (20.4) while Elon ranks 265th (30.5).
- The Phoenix average 39.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 52nd in the NCAA. The Sycamores rank 183rd in rebounds allowed per game (36.6).
- Elon ranks 48th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while Indiana State ranks 122nd (3.8).
- The Sycamores average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.4, up from 0.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Phoenix have scored an average of 64.4 points per game (8.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (2.1 below their season average).