CAA foes will collide when the Northeastern Huskies (8-6, 1-1 CAA) take on the Elon Phoenix (10-5, 2-0 CAA) at Matthews Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 136.5 points with Northeastern opening as a 6-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018.
Elon Phoenix at Northeastern Huskies Free Preview
The Phoenix barely escaped the Towson Tigers in their last contest, 75-72. With 16 points and six rebounds, Tyler Seibring had a solid game for Elon. Elon dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.138 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 14.8 (better than their season average of 15.7). Towson recorded marks of 0.068 and 19.5, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Huskies last game, they were defeated by the Hofstra Pride, 71-70. Shawn Occeus was Northeastern’s leading scorer with 20 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Hofstra held the Huskies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.3 (below their season average of 25.9). Northeastern, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.564 vs. 0.518).
Northeastern appears to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Huskies currently rank 68th in effective field goal percentage (0.546), while Elon ranks 173rd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.499). Furthermore, the Phoenix, who rank 309th in offensive rebounding percentage (24.1 percent), will square off against the Huskies, who rank 38th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.4 percent).
Of Elon’s 11 games that accepted bets, eight have finished over the projected point total, while 5 of Northeastern’s 10 games have finished over the projected point total. The Phoenix have the superior straight up (SU) record (10-5 vs. 8-6), but the Huskies have been better against the spread (ATS) (4-6 vs. 4-7).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Huskies won 105-104. Northeastern’s 0.611 effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Elon, who had a rate of 0.519.
Elon Phoenix at Northeastern Huskies Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Northeastern, ATS Winner – Northeastern, O/U – Over
- The Huskies rank second in blocks allowed per game (1.7) while the Phoenix rank 64th (3.1).
- Northeastern ranks 84th in steals per game (6.9) while Elon ranks 98th in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- On the road, Elon is 1-6 ATS with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Northeastern is 2-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Northeastern ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (15.3) while Elon ranks 259th (29.5).
- The Huskies rank 29th in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while the Phoenix rank 212th (38.0).
- Northeastern ranks 37th in assists allowed per game (11.1) while Elon ranks 110th (13.1).
- Northeastern is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Elon is 3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Huskies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.4, down from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Phoenix have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (1.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.2 points per game (2.5 below their season average).