CAA foes will collide when the Hofstra Pride (9-5, 2-1 CAA) square off against the Elon Phoenix (10-6, 2-1 CAA) at Mack Sports Complex. Hofstra is a 4-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 145 points. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
Elon Phoenix vs. Hofstra Pride Odds Preview
The last time the Phoenix played, they fell to the Northeastern Huskies, 72-60. With 19 points on 6-for-10 shooting, Dmitri Thompson led Elon in scoring. Northeastern had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.7 (above their season average of 25.0). Elon, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.589 (above their season average of 0.530).
The Pride hope to maintain momentum after topping the James Madison Dukes in their last game, 87-81. Hofstra’s Rokas Gustys played a key role with 12 points and 18 rebounds. Hofstra played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.322 (above their season average of 0.243) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (below their season average of 34.6). James Madison was 0.183 and 20.0, respectively, for those same stats.
The high-powered offense of Hofstra (63rd in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 112.2) will go head-to-head against the mid-tier defense of Elon (205th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 103.3). The Pride figure to have the edge on that side of the ball. Additionally, the Phoenix rank 336th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.172), while the Pride rank 49th in opponents FTA rate (0.187).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go over the O/U total. Elon games have gone over 66.7 percent of the time, while games involving Hofstra have finished over 63.6 percent of the time. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (10-6 for Elon; 9-5 for Hofstra), but the Pride have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Hofstra is 4-7 ATS, while the Phoenix are 4-8.
Justin Wright-Foreman has been impressive over the last five games for Hofstra, averaging 30.2 points and 3.4 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Phoenix won both matchups last season. In the most recent matchup, Elon won 84-70. Elon had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.608 vs. 0.476). Hofstra, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.8 vs. 14.3).
Elon Phoenix vs. Hofstra Pride Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hofstra, ATS Winner – Hofstra, O/U – Over
- Hofstra is 0-1 ATS at home, while Elon is 1-7 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Phoenix’s 8 road games, while 1 of the Pride’s 1 home games have gone over.
- Elon averages 30.1 three pointers per game, which ranks ninth in the NCAA. Hofstra ranks 188th in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- The Phoenix average 15.5 assists per game, which ranks 68th in the NCAA. The Pride rank 194th in assists allowed per game (15.1).
- Hofstra ranks 95th in rebounds per game (37.5) while Elon ranks 208th in rebounds allowed per game (37.4).
- Hofstra is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Elon is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pride have been outscored by an average of 3.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Hofstra has defeated opponents by an average of 0.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Phoenix have scored an average of 69.8 points per game (3.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (1.8 below their season average).