Offense meets defense when the Eastern Michigan Eagles (8-3) visit Syracuse to take on the Orange (10-2). Syracuse is a 12-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 135 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 27, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Eastern Michigan Eagles vs. Syracuse Orange Odds Preview
The Eagles were beaten by the Oakland Golden Grizzlies in their last game, 86-81. With 25 points on 11-for-17 shooting, Paul Jackson led Eastern Michigan in scoring. Oakland did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (21-23; 91.3 percent). Eastern Michigan, meanwhile, forced the Golden Grizzlies into a turnover percentage of 20.7 (above their season average of 17.0).
In the Orange’s last matchup, they were defeated by the St. Bonaventure Bonnies, 60-57. With 15 points and 13 rebounds, Syracuse’s Oshae Brissett put together a solid performance. St. Bonaventure held the Orange to an effective field goal percentage of 0.325 (below their season average of 0.490). Syracuse, on the other hand, held the Bonnies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.5 (below their season average of 30.9).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Syracuse. Syracuse ranks 192nd in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.3 percent), while the gambling defense of Eastern Michigan forces the 45th-most turnovers in the nation (22.7 percent). Furthermore, the 59th-ranked offense of the Eagles (offensive efficiency of 113.6) will square off against the 53rd-ranked defense of the Orange (defensive efficiency of 94.3).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games involving Eastern Michigan have finished over 66.7 percent of the time, while Syracuse games have gone under 60.0 percent of the time. The Orange have the superior straight up (SU) record (10-2 vs. 8-3), but the Eagles hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (5-1 vs. 4-6).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Eagles, it’s been James Thompson IV, who has averaged 20.4 points, 13.4 rebounds, 2.4 blocks and 1.4 steals, while the Orange have received great contributions from Brissett (19.8 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.6 steals).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Orange won the only game last season, 105-57. The Orange played a flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.254 and a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.706. The Eagles were 0.091 and 0.386, respectively, for those same stats.
Eastern Michigan Eagles at Syracuse Orange ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Syracuse, ATS Winner – Eastern Michigan, O/U – Over
- The Orange average 6.3 blocks per game, which ranks eighth in the nation. The Eagles rank 90th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Eastern Michigan ranks 185th in three pointers attempted per game (20.5) while Syracuse ranks 233rd (18.2).
- Syracuse is 2-5 ATS at home, while Eastern Michigan is 3-1 ATS on the road.
- Of the Eagles 4 road games, they have 3 overs and 1 under.
- Of the Orange’s 7 home games, they have 5 unders and 2 overs.
- Syracuse averages 8.9 steals per game, which ranks 17th in the nation. Eastern Michigan ranks 142nd in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- The Orange rank ninth in rebounds per game (42.4) while the Eagles rank 107th in rebounds allowed per game (34.3).
- Eastern Michigan averages 14.5 assists per game, which ranks 109th in the nation. Syracuse ranks 204th in assists allowed per game (16.3).
- Syracuse is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Eastern Michigan is 3-0 ATS with 3 overs.
- The Orange’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.8, down from 8.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 84.4 points per game (3.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 80.8 points per game (8.4 above their season average).