The Oakland Golden Grizzlies (7-4) can lengthen a five-game home winning streak when they challenge the Eastern Michigan Eagles (8-2) at Athletics Center Orena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 159 points with Oakland set as a 6.5-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Eastern Michigan Eagles vs. Oakland Golden Grizzlies ATS Preview
The Eagles beat the Long Beach State 49ers in their last outing, 85-80. With 19 points and 11 rebounds, James Thompson IV had a solid game for Eastern Michigan. The Eagles, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.539, had an extraordinary mark of 0.621 and had a better turnover percentage (15.3 vs. 16.6).
In the Golden Grizzlies last matchup, they beat the Towson Tigers, 97-86. Oakland’s Jalen Hayes was a key piece with 25 points and 10 rebounds. The Golden Grizzlies made 30 of their 36 free throws (83.3 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.644 (above their season average of 0.509).
This game should be a matchup of contrasting styles. Oakland likes to play quickly (22nd in possessions per game), while Eastern Michigan is more half-court-oriented (148th in possessions per game).
Both of these teams have typically finished over the projected point total. Games involving Eastern Michigan have finished over 60.0 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Oakland games have finished over. The Eagles have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (8-2 vs. 7-4) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (4-1 vs. 4-5).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Eagles, it’s been Elijah Minnie, who has averaged 18.0 points, 8.4 rebounds, 2.0 blocks and 1.8 steals, while the Golden Grizzlies have gotten solid contributions from Hayes (20.4 points and 10.2 rebounds).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 184 points, well over the projected point total of 148.5. The Eagles won 95-89, covering as 1.5-point underdogs. The Eagles dominated every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.306 and an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 38.2. The Golden Grizzlies were 0.229 and 31.8, respectively, for those same stats. Thompson IV recorded a double-double with 24 points and 12 rebounds.
Eastern Michigan Eagles vs. Oakland Golden Grizzlies ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Oakland, ATS Winner – Eastern Michigan, O/U – Over
- The Eagles average 5.8 blocks per game, which ranks 21st in the nation. The Golden Grizzlies rank 176th in blocks allowed per game (6.5).
- Eastern Michigan ranks 77th in rebounds per game (38.1) while Oakland ranks 215th in rebounds allowed per game (37.7).
- Eastern Michigan is 2-1 ATS on the road, while Oakland is 2-0 ATS at home.
- The Eagles have 2 overs and 1 under in 3 road games.
- Of the Golden Grizzlies 2 home games, they have 1 over and 1 under.
- Oakland ranks 11th in three pointers allowed per game (16.6) while Eastern Michigan ranks 187th (23.8).
- The Golden Grizzlies average 17.6 assists per game, which ranks 24th in the nation. The Eagles rank 198th in assists allowed per game (15.5).
- Eastern Michigan ranks fifth in steals per game (10.5) while Oakland ranks 177th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Oakland is 3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Eastern Michigan is 3-0 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under.
- The Golden Grizzlies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.4, up from 1.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 81.2 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.0 points per game (2.0 above their season average).