The Eastern Michigan Eagles (9-4) will attempt to put an end to the eight-game winning streak of Ball State when they travel to John E. Worthen Arena to go head-to-head with the Cardinals (9-4). Ball State is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 149 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Eastern Michigan Eagles vs. Ball State Cardinals Betting Preview
In the Eagles last outing, they dismantled the Rochester (MI) Warriors, 67-48. With 12 points and five assists, Eastern Michigan’s Paul Jackson played well. Eastern Michigan played a nearly flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.275 (above their season average of 0.237) and a turnover percentage of 18.2 (worse than their season average of 16.3). Rochester (MI) put up marks of 0.067 and 26.0, respectively, for those same stats.
The Cardinals will look to maintain momentum after blowing out the Florida A&M Rattlers in their last game, 75-54. Trey Moses played a pivotal role for Ball State with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Ball State played a flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.293 (above their season average of 0.262) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.1 (above their season average of 26.3). For those same stats, Florida A&M was 0.151 and 23.5, respectively.
The aggressive Ball State offense might be living from the free throw line in this showdown. The Cardinals currently rank 95th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.264, while Eastern Michigan ranks 325th in FTA rate allowed (0.223).
Games featuring these teams have typically gone over the projected point total. Eastern Michigan games have finished over 57.1 percent of the time, while Ball State games have finished over 57.1 percent of the time. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (9-4 for Eastern Michigan; 9-4 for Ball State), but the Eagles have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Eastern Michigan is 5-2 ATS, while the Cardinals are 4-3.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Cardinals won both matchups last season. In the most recent game, Ball State won 79-72. The Cardinals played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.500 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 38.2. For those same stats, the Eagles recorded marks of 0.185 and 29.5, respectively.
Eastern Michigan Eagles vs. Ball State Cardinals Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Ball State, ATS Winner – Eastern Michigan, O/U – Under
- The Eagles average 5.9 blocks per game, which ranks 41st in the NCAA. The Cardinals rank 123rd in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Ball State averages 36.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 128th in the nation. Eastern Michigan ranks 157th in rebounds allowed per game (35.2).
- Eastern Michigan is 3-2 ATS on the road with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Ball State is 1-1 ATS with 2 unders and 0 overs.
- Eastern Michigan ranks eighth in steals per game (10.2) while Ball State ranks 155th (5.5).
- The Cardinals average 14.9 assists per game, which ranks 89th in the nation. The Eagles rank 195th in assists allowed per game (15.6).
- Ball State averages 24.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 64th in the NCAA. Eastern Michigan ranks 152nd in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- Ball State is 1-1 ATS with 1 over and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Eastern Michigan is 2-1 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under.
- The Cardinals average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.0, up from 3.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (5.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.2 points per game (1.5 below their season average).