The Marshall Thundering Herd (8-4) can continue a seven-game home winning streak when they take on the Eastern Kentucky Colonels (6-6) at Henderson Center. Marshall is an 11-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 161 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Eastern Kentucky Colonels vs. Marshall Thundering Herd Odds Preview
The Colonels were victorious over the Norfolk State Spartans in their last game, 83-66. With 14 points, Nick Mayo played well for Eastern Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky played a perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.8 (below their season average of 31.2) and a free throw rate of 0.273 (matching their season average). Norfolk State had marks of 16.7 and 0.176, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Thundering Herd’s last matchup, they were topped by the No. 9 Xavier Musketeers, 81-77. Ajdin Penava was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Xavier did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (23-26; 88.5 percent). Marshall, meanwhile, forced the Musketeers into a turnover percentage of 20.4 (above their season average of 14.9).
Contrasting tempos will be on display in this meeting. Marshall prefers an up-and-down style of play (third in possessions per game), while Eastern Kentucky likes to grind-it-out (260th in possessions per game).
Of Eastern Kentucky’s 7 games with betting action, three have finished over the O/U total, while 5 of Marshall’s 9 games have finished over the projected point total. The Thundering Herd hold a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 8-4 SU and 4-5 ATS, while the Colonels are 6-6 SU and 2-5 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Colonels won the lone contest last season, 89-80. The Colonels played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.609 and a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.400. For those same stats, the Thundering Herd were 0.462 and 0.308, respectively.
Eastern Kentucky Colonels vs. Marshall Thundering Herd Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Marshall, ATS Winner – Eastern Kentucky, O/U – Under
- The Thundering Herd rank 68th in steals per game (7.3) while the Colonels rank 169th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- Marshall ranks 20th in blocks per game (5.8) while Eastern Kentucky ranks 91st (3.8).
- On the road, Eastern Kentucky is 2-5 ATS with 3 overs, 3 unders and 1 push.
- Marshall is 2-2 ATS at home with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- Marshall ranks 27th in three pointers attempted per game (27.4) while Eastern Kentucky ranks 205th (19.8).
- The Thundering Herd rank 31st in assists per game (17.2) while the Colonels rank 201st in assists allowed per game (15.6).
- Eastern Kentucky ranks 119th in rebounds allowed per game (34.4) while Marshall ranks 258th (40.9).
- Marshall is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Eastern Kentucky is 1-1 ATS with 1 over and 1 under.
- The Thundering Herd’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.2, up from 5.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Colonels have scored an average of 69.6 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.2 points per game (2.9 below their season average).