The Eastern Illinois Panthers (2-6) will attempt to end a six-game road losing streak when they clash with the South Alabama Jaguars (5-5) at Mitchell Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 4:05 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017.
Eastern Illinois Panthers at South Alabama Jaguars Free Preview
In the Panthers last outing, they lost a tough one against the Green Bay Phoenix, 59-57. With 19 points on 8-for-18 shooting, Montell Goodwin led Eastern Illinois in scoring. Green Bay had an effective field goal percentage of 0.518 (above their season average of 0.454). Eastern Illinois, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.127 vs. 0.036).
The Jaguars are hoping for a better outcome after their 76-75 loss to the SIUE Cougars in their last matchup. With 10 points and nine rebounds, South Alabama’s Josh Ajayi had a solid outing. SIUE had a turnover percentage of 12.5 (better than their season average of 15.9). South Alabama, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.2 (above their season average of 24.9).
South Alabama could dominate on the defensive side of the ball as they face off against one of the worst offenses in the NCAA. Dating back to last season, the Jaguars rank 40th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.496), while Eastern Illinois is 275th in effective field goal percentage (0.488).
Ajayi has been impressive over the last five games for South Alabama, averaging 13.8 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.
The Panthers won the sole contest against the Jaguars last season, 72-62. The Panthers played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.228 and a turnover percentage of 21.5. For those same stats, the Jaguars were 0.143 and 27.6, respectively.
Eastern Illinois Panthers at South Alabama Jaguars Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – South Alabama, ATS Winner – South Alabama, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Panthers average 7.0 steals per game, which ranks 72nd in the nation. The Jaguars rank 137th in steals allowed per game (5.7).
- Eastern Illinois ranks 86th in assists per game (14.9) while South Alabama ranks 103rd in assists allowed per game (13.4).
- South Alabama averages 35.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 112th in the nation. Eastern Illinois ranks 224th in rebounds allowed per game (38.1).
- The Jaguars rank 12th in blocks allowed per game (3.0) while the Panthers rank 113th (3.4).
- Eastern Illinois ranks 86th in three pointers attempted per game (23.5) while South Alabama ranks 161st in three pointers allowed per game (21.5).