The Eastern Illinois Panthers (4-7) can end a seven-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head against the Murray State Racers (8-3) at CFSB Center. Murray State opened as a 10-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 138 points. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Eastern Illinois Panthers at Murray State Racers Odds Preview
The last time the Panthers played, they had no trouble getting past the St. Francis (IL) Fighting Saints, 74-38. With 14 points and 10 rebounds, Muusa Dama had a solid performance for Eastern Illinois. Eastern Illinois played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.635 (above their season average of 0.481) and a free throw rate of 0.154 (below their season average of 0.206). St. Francis (IL) was 0.286 and 0.107, respectively, for those same stats.
The Racers will look to keep it rolling after beating the Detroit Titans in their last game, 81-72. Murray State was led by Temetrius Morant, who finished with 17 points, 11 rebounds and nine assists. Murray State played a flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.4 (below their season average of 36.4) and a free throw rate of 0.317 (above their season average of 0.269). For those same stats, Detroit was 23.5 and 0.263, respectively.
Murray State could dominate on defense as they battle against one of the worst offenses in the nation. The Racers currently rank 54th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.464), while Eastern Illinois is 266th in effective field goal percentage (0.494).
Of Eastern Illinois 9 games that accepted bets, five have finished under the projected point total, while 4 of Murray State’s 8 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Racers have a significant advantage. They are 8-3 SU and 5-3 ATS, while the Panthers are 4-7 SU and 2-7 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Panthers, it’s been Dama, who has averaged 14.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 1.2 blocks, while the Racers have received solid contributions from Morant (12.4 points, 7.2 rebounds and 7.2 assists).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Panthers won 82-65. Eastern Illinois’ effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Murray State. The Panthers had a rate of 0.623 while the Racers posted a mark of 0.424.
Eastern Illinois Panthers vs. Murray State Racers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Murray State, ATS Winner – Eastern Illinois, O/U – Under
- The Racers rank 61st in blocks per game (4.3) while the Panthers rank 85th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Eastern Illinois ranks 116th in three pointers attempted per game (20.1) while Murray State ranks 137th in three pointers allowed per game (22.1).
- On the road, Eastern Illinois is 2-5 ATS with 5 unders and 2 overs.
- Murray State is 3-1 ATS at home with 3 overs and 1 under.
- Murray State ranks 26th in rebounds allowed per game (31.1) while Eastern Illinois ranks 204th (34.1).
- The Racers rank 18th in assists allowed per game (10.4) while the Panthers rank 110th (13.4).
- Murray State ranks 47th in steals allowed per game (5.5) while Eastern Illinois ranks 81st (6.7).
- Murray State is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Eastern Illinois is 0-4 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Racers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.8, down from 14.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 63.4 points per game (5.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.8 points per game (6.0 below their season average).