The San Diego State Aztecs (2-1) will be at home in Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl when they square off with the Eastern Illinois Panthers (1-2). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 141 points with San Diego State set as a 12.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 10:30 p.m. ET on Monday, November 20, 2017.
Eastern Illinois Panthers vs. San Diego State Aztecs Betting Preview
The Panthers edged the IUPUI Jaguars in their last matchup, 80-79. Cornell Johnston was the games high scorer with 25 points on 8-for-10 shooting. The Panthers had a much better free throw rate (0.489 vs. 0.053) and had a much better turnover percentage (14.2 vs. 20.0).
In the Aztecs last game, they dismantled the McNeese State Cowboys, 83-52. San Diego State received a boost from Devin Watson, who was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 8-for-14 shooting. San Diego State played a flawless game. They had a great turnover percentage of 9.8 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.545. McNeese State was 18.8 and 0.336, respectively, for those same stats.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, San Diego State figures to have a considerable advantage. Dating back to the 2016-17 season, the Aztecs defense ranks sixth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.445), while the Eastern Illinois offense ranks 273rd in effective field goal percentage (0.486).
Since last season, the Panthers have had records of 15-17 straight up (SU) and 15-15 against the spread (ATS). Since last season, games including Eastern Illinois have had no tendency in regards to the O/U total as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under.
The Aztecs are 21-15 SU since last season, but are just 9-17-4 ATS. A little over half of San Diego States games have finished under the projected point total over that same period.
Eastern Illinois Panthers at San Diego State Aztecs ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – San Diego State, ATS Winner – San Diego State, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Panthers rank 75th in three pointers attempted per game (23.5) while the Aztecs rank 146th in three pointers allowed per game (20.9).
- San Diego State ranks 77th in steals per game (6.9) while Eastern Illinois ranks 119th in steals allowed per game (5.9).
- Eastern Illinois ranks 80th in assists per game (14.9) while San Diego State ranks 288th (11.4).
- The Aztecs average 36.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 119th in the nation. The Panthers rank 287th in rebounds allowed per game (38.6).
- San Diego State ranks 26th in blocks per game (4.9) while Eastern Illinois ranks 143rd in blocks allowed per game (3.4).