The East Tennessee State Buccaneers (22-4, 13-0 SoCon) and the UNCG Spartans (19-6, 10-2 SoCon) clash at Greensboro Coliseum. The Buccaneers will attempt to continue their 16-game winning streak. UNCG is a 1.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 133 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, February 12, 2018.
East Tennessee State Buccaneers vs. UNCG Spartans Betting Preview
The Buccaneers were victorious over the VMI Keydets in their last matchup, 70-56. Jalan McCloud was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 7-for-13 shooting. East Tennessee State played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.247) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.4 (above their season average of 31.3). For those same stats, VMI had marks of 0.115 and 16.7, respectively.
In the Spartans last matchup, they defeated the Western Carolina Catamounts, 65-48. Isaiah Miller played well for UNCG, recording 10 points and six assists. UNCG played a perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.283 (above their season average of 0.196) and a turnover percentage of 18.2 (worse than their season average of 18.0). Western Carolina was 0.170 and 24.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Baskets could be hard to come by in this meeting between two of the NCAA’s best defenses. UNCG currently ranks sixth in defensive efficiency (92.4) and East Tennessee State is 11th (93.8). ,
Games including these teams have typically finished under the O/U total. East Tennessee State games have finished under 63.6 percent of the time, while UNCG games have gone under 55.6 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Buccaneers have a significant advantage. They are 22-4 SU and 15-5-2 ATS, while the Spartans are 19-6 SU and 13-5 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 126 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 137. The Buccaneers won 68-58, covering as 8-point favorites. One of East Tennessee State’s biggest advantages was getting to the free throw line. They had 26 free throw attempts, while UNCG had 17. Desonta Bradford had a stellar game, with 12 points and nine rebounds.
East Tennessee State Buccaneers vs. UNCG Spartans Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – East Tennessee State, ATS Winner – East Tennessee State, O/U – Under
- The Spartans allow the seventh-fewest blocks per game (2.2) while the Buccaneers rank 55th (2.8).
- UNCG allows the 11th-fewest assists per game (10.0) while East Tennessee State ranks 31st (11.1).
- On the road, East Tennessee State is 8-3-1 ATS with 9 unders and 3 overs.
- At home, UNCG is 7-2 ATS with 6 unders and 3 overs.
- East Tennessee State averages 7.8 steals per game, which ranks 27th in the NCAA. UNCG ranks 192nd in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- The Spartans average 27.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 21st in the nation. The Buccaneers rank 176th in three pointers allowed per game (22.9).
- UNCG ranks eighth in rebounds allowed per game (30.0) while East Tennessee State ranks 75th (33.0).
- UNCG is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, East Tennessee State is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.2, up from 10.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Buccaneers have scored an average of 79.0 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.2 points per game (0.0 above their season average).