The VMI Keydets (7-16, 2-10 SoCon) will attempt to put an end to the 15-game winning streak of East Tennessee State when they welcome the Buccaneers (21-4, 12-0 SoCon) to Cameron Hall. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
East Tennessee State Buccaneers vs. VMI Keydets Betting Preview
In the Buccaneers last contest, they had no trouble getting past the Chattanooga Mocs, 81-61. With 16 points and 13 rebounds, East Tennessee State’s Peter Jurkin had a good outing. The Buccaneers held the Mocs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below their season average of 26.1) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.642 (above their season average of 0.545).
The Keydets are trying to rebound after their 72-60 loss to the Western Carolina Catamounts in their last outing. With 13 points and 10 rebounds, Austin Vereen played well for VMI. Western Carolina had an effective field goal percentage of 0.593 (above their season average of 0.472). VMI, meanwhile, forced the Catamounts into a turnover percentage of 25.0 (above their season average of 18.1).
VMI might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they go head-to-head against one of the nations best defenses. East Tennessee State ranks 14th in defensive efficiency while the Keydets rank 344th in offensive efficiency.
Desonta Bradford has really been playing well over the last five games for East Tennessee State, averaging 20.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 2.0 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Buccaneers won 89-48. The Buccaneers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.605 and a turnover percentage of 12.2. For those same stats, the Keydets were 0.310 and 19.5, respectively. Devontavius Payne was a standout player in the game, producing 17 points and nine rebounds.
East Tennessee State Buccaneers vs. VMI Keydets Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – East Tennessee State, ATS Winner – East Tennessee State, O/U – Under
- The Buccaneers rank 47th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Keydets rank 116th (3.5).
- VMI ranks 124th in three pointers attempted per game (22.7) while East Tennessee State ranks 193rd in three pointers allowed per game (23.0).
- East Tennessee State averages 7.8 steals per game, which ranks 26th in the nation. VMI ranks 177th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- The Buccaneers average 37.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 81st in the nation. The Keydets rank 215th in rebounds allowed per game (36.4).
- East Tennessee State ranks 28th in assists allowed per game (11.2) while VMI ranks 148th (13.7).
- The Keydets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.8, up from 8.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Buccaneers have scored an average of 81.8 points per game (4.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.0 points per game (3.4 above their season average).