The Citadel Bulldogs (7-13, 2-6 SoCon) look to put an end to the 12-game winning streak of East Tennessee State when they welcome the Buccaneers (18-4, 9-0 SoCon) to McAlister Field House. East Tennessee State opened as a 19-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 164 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET on Monday, January 29, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
East Tennessee State Buccaneers vs. Citadel Bulldogs Free Preview
The Buccaneers beat the Wofford Terriers in their last matchup, 75-62. Desonta Bradford led East Tennessee State in scoring with 17 points on 7-for-10 shooting. The Buccaneers, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.544, had an extraordinary mark of 0.608 and had a better turnover percentage (16.0 vs. 16.2).
In the Bulldogs last matchup, they beat the Mercer Bears, 76-74. Kaelon Harris had a good outing for Citadel, recording 13 points and six rebounds. Citadel launched 35 three pointers, making 14 of them (40.0 percent), while Mercer was 8-29 (27.6 percent).
Citadel might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they go head-to-head against one of the nations best defenses. East Tennessee State ranks 18th in defensive efficiency while the Bulldogs rank 227th in offensive efficiency.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games involving East Tennessee State have gone under 66.7 percent of the time, while Citadel games have gone over 61.5 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Buccaneers have a significant advantage. They are 18-4 SU and 13-3-2 ATS, while the Bulldogs are 7-13 SU and 5-7-1 ATS.
Matt Frierson has been on fire over the last five games for Citadel, averaging 19.6 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Buccaneers won both games last season. In the last contest, East Tennessee State won 90-69. The Buccaneers dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.182 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.591. The Bulldogs had marks of 0.085 and 0.444, respectively, for those same stats.
East Tennessee State Buccaneers at Citadel Bulldogs Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – East Tennessee State, ATS Winner – East Tennessee State, O/U – Under
- The Buccaneers average 7.9 steals per game, which ranks 28th in the nation. The Bulldogs rank 174th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- East Tennessee State ranks 48th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while Citadel ranks 176th (4.7).
- East Tennessee State is 8-1-1 ATS on the road with 7 unders and 3 overs.
- At home, Citadel is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- East Tennessee State ranks 35th in assists allowed per game (11.2) while Citadel ranks 256th (20.9).
- The Buccaneers rank 98th in rebounds allowed per game (33.7) while the Bulldogs rank 284th (44.6).
- Citadel averages 34.6 three pointers per game, which ranks second in the NCAA. East Tennessee State ranks 186th in three pointers allowed per game (23.1).
- Citadel is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, East Tennessee State is 3-1-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Bulldogs average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.2, down from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Buccaneers have scored an average of 75.2 points per game (1.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 59.2 points per game (5.8 below their season average).