AAC foes will collide when the Tulsa Golden Hurricane (7-5) take on the East Carolina Pirates (6-5) at Donald Reynolds Center. Tulsa opened as a 14.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 142 points. Action begins at 5 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
East Carolina Pirates at Tulsa Golden Hurricane Odds Preview
In the Pirates last game, they were victorious over the Grambling State Tigers, 76-68. B.J. Tyson led East Carolina in scoring with 20 points on 7-for-12 shooting. East Carolina dominated every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.481 (above their season average of 0.241) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.2 (above their season average of 31.1). For those same stats, Grambling State was 0.138 and 34.1, respectively.
The Golden Hurricane are hoping for a better outcome after their 71-59 loss to the Oklahoma State Cowboys in their last matchup. Junior Etou was the games high scorer with 18 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Oklahoma State had a turnover percentage of 11.9 (better than their season average of 15.7). Tulsa, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (11-14; 78.6 percent).
The aggressive Tulsa offense seems poised to dominate from the free throw line. The Golden Hurricane rank seventh in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.336, while East Carolina ranks 159th in FTA rate allowed (0.225).
Of East Carolina’s 4 games with betting action, two have finished over the projected point total, while 6 of Tulsa’s 9 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (6-5 for East Carolina; 7-5 for Tulsa), but the Golden Hurricane have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Tulsa is 6-3 ATS, while the Pirates are 1-3.
Isaac Fleming has taken his game to another level over the last five games for East Carolina, averaging 18.8 points, 3.8 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Golden Hurricane won the most recent contest 74-66. Tulsa had a much better turnover percentage (10.9 vs. 16.3). East Carolina, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (20-26; 76.9 percent).
East Carolina Pirates vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Tulsa, ATS Winner – East Carolina, O/U – Under
- Tulsa is 2-1 ATS at home, while East Carolina is 0-1 ATS on the road.
- All 1 of the Pirates road games have gone under.
- All 3 of the Golden Hurricane’s home games have gone over.
- East Carolina ranks 117th in three pointers allowed per game (21.5) while Tulsa ranks 246th (26.8).
- The Golden Hurricane average 37.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 101st in the nation. The Pirates rank 184th in rebounds allowed per game (36.7).
- Tulsa is 3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, East Carolina is 1-1 ATS with 1 over and 1 under.
- The Golden Hurricane’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.2, down from 2.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 70.2 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.6 points per game (0.1 below their season average).