AAC foes will battle when the Temple Owls (13-10, 5-6 AAC) challenge the East Carolina Pirates (9-13, 3-8 AAC) at Liacouras Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 137 points with Temple opening as a 16.5-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNews.
East Carolina Pirates vs. Temple Owls Odds Preview
The Pirates edged the Memphis Tigers in their last game, 88-85. With 11 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds, Isaac Fleming led the way for East Carolina with his zeroth triple-double this year. East Carolina’s 0.579 effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Memphis, who had a mark of 0.508. The Pirates’ mark was above their season average of 0.473.
In the Owls last matchup, they beat the Tulane Green Wave, 83-76. Temple’s Shizz Alston Jr. played a pivotal role with 15 points, 10 assists and five rebounds. Temple’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Tulane. The Owls had a rate of 0.578 (above their season average of 0.482), while the Green Wave posted a mark of 0.461 (below their season average of 0.528).
East Carolina could have a difficult time creating turnovers. Temple ranks 46th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.7 percent), while East Carolina forces the 219th-most turnovers (18.5 percent). Moreover, the Pirates, who rank 286th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.206), could struggle to get to the line against the Owls, who rank 53rd in opponents FTA rate (0.197).
Shawn Williams has really been playing well over the last five games for East Carolina, averaging 16.6 points per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Pirates won two out of three meetings last season. In the last contest, East Carolina won 80-69. East Carolina did a fantastic job of making free throws (14-20; 70.0 percent). Temple, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (12.0 vs. 16.9).
East Carolina Pirates vs. Temple Owls ATS Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Temple, ATS Winner – East Carolina, O/U – Under
- The Owls average 12.7 assists per game, which ranks 195th in the nation. The Pirates rank 213th in assists allowed per game (15.0).
- Temple ranks 103rd in blocks per game (3.5) while East Carolina ranks 117th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Temple ranks 101st in three pointers attempted per game (23.3) while East Carolina ranks 227th (19.1).
- The Owls average 7.0 steals per game, which ranks 73rd in the NCAA. The Pirates rank 177th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- East Carolina averages 35.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 159th in the NCAA. Temple ranks 258th in rebounds allowed per game (38.3).
- The Owls have outscored opponents by an average of 2.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Temple has been defeated by an average of 0.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 73.6 points per game (7.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.0 points per game (4.2 above their season average).