A10 foes will clash when the VCU Rams (10-6, 2-1 A10) clash with the Duquesne Dukes (12-4, 3-0 A10) at Stuart Siegel Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 144.5 points with VCU set as a 9.5-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Duquesne Dukes at VCU Rams Free Preview
The last time the Dukes played, they easily got past the Fordham Rams, 64-41. Rene Castro was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 8-for-10 shooting. Duquesne dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.235 (below their season average of 0.275) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 35.8). For those same stats, Fordham was 0.040 and 16.7, respectively.
The Rams will look to maintain momentum after defeating the La Salle Explorers in their last contest, 80-74. VCU received a boost from Justin Tillman, who had 13 points and 10 rebounds. VCU played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.322 (above their season average of 0.196) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.517 (below their season average of 0.527). La Salle recorded marks of 0.246 and 0.484, respectively, for those same stats.
VCU could have difficulty getting to the free throw line in this meeting. The Rams currently rank 283rd in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.203, while Duquesne ranks 55th in FTA rate allowed (0.190).
Of Duquesne’s 8 games with betting action, seven have finished under the projected point total, while 6 of VCU’s 12 games have finished over the O/U total. The Dukes hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (12-4 vs. 10-6), but the Rams have the better against the spread (ATS) record (6-6 vs. 5-3).
Tillman has really been playing well over the last five games for VCU, averaging 22.4 points and 11.4 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Rams won the only contest last season, 94-87. VCU had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.4 vs. 27.0). Duquesne, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.333 vs. 0.231).
Duquesne Dukes vs. VCU Rams Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – VCU, ATS Winner – Duquesne, O/U – Under
- The Dukes average 38.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 74th in the nation. The Rams rank 132nd in rebounds allowed per game (35.1).
- Duquesne is 2-2 ATS on the road, while VCU is 4-2 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 4 of the Rams 6 home games, while 4 of the Dukes 4 road games have gone under.
- Duquesne ranks 13th in three pointers allowed per game (17.2) while VCU ranks 127th (22.1).
- The Dukes rank 17th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Rams rank 128th (7.1).
- Duquesne ranks 45th in blocks per game (4.6) while VCU ranks 120th (3.0).
- VCU is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Duquesne is 4-1 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Rams average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, up from 3.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Dukes have scored an average of 66.8 points per game (5.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 58.8 points per game (2.7 below their season average).