Offense meets defense when the No. 7 Duke Blue Devils (15-2, 3-2 ACC) head to Miami to take on the No. 18 Hurricanes (13-3, 2-2 ACC). Duke opened as a 3-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 154.5 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Duke Blue Devils at Miami Hurricanes Betting Preview
The Blue Devils easily got past the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in their last contest, 89-71. Marvin Bagley III was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 11-for-21 shooting. Duke dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.474 (above their season average of 0.236) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.544 (below their season average of 0.574). For those same stats, Wake Forest was 0.093 and 0.427, respectively.
In the Hurricanes last matchup, they were blown out by the No. 19 Clemson Tigers, 72-63. With 16 points and seven rebounds, Lonnie Walker played well for Miami. Clemson did a great job of making free throws (16-17; 94.1 percent). Miami, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 16.0).
Miami could have difficulty getting to the foul line in this meeting. The Hurricanes rank 329th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.183, while Duke ranks 20th in FTA rate allowed (0.176). Moreover, the Blue Devils top-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 126.6) will face off against the Hurricanes fifth-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 88.8).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring Duke have finished over 80.0 percent of the time, while 63.6 percent of Miami games have finished under. Both teams have excellent straight up (SU) records (15-2 for Duke; 13-3 for Miami), but the Blue Devils have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Duke is 10-5 ATS, while the Hurricanes are 6-4-1.
Gary Trent Jr. has really been playing well over the last five games for Duke, averaging 15.6 points and 2.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent game, the Hurricanes won 55-50. The Hurricanes played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.172 and a turnover percentage of 13.5. The Blue Devils had marks of 0.045 and 15.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Duke Blue Devils at Miami Hurricanes Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Duke, ATS Winner – Duke, O/U – Over
- The Blue Devils rank 18th in blocks per game (5.5) while the Hurricanes rank 52nd in blocks allowed per game (2.9).
- Miami ranks 195th in three pointers attempted per game (19.9) while Duke ranks 200th in three pointers allowed per game (24.1).
- Duke is 5-3 ATS on the road with 7 overs and 1 under.
- At home, Miami is 1-0 ATS with 1 over and 0 unders.
- Duke ranks second in assists per game (19.9) while Miami ranks 167th (13.0).
- The Blue Devils rank second in rebounds per game (44.1) while the Hurricanes rank 114th (36.6).
- Duke ranks 13th in steals allowed per game (4.6) while Miami ranks 82nd (6.0).
- Miami is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Duke is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hurricanes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 12.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Blue Devils have scored an average of 93.0 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.4 points per game (3.4 below their season average).