A shootout should be expected when the No. 14 Minnesota Golden Gophers (8-3) and the Drake Bulldogs (5-4) battle at Williams Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 154.5 points with Minnesota set as a 19-point favorite. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, December 11, 2017.
Drake Bulldogs vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers Free Preview
The Bulldogs easily got past the Omaha Mavericks in their last contest, 93-74. Reed Timmer was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 7-for-17 shooting. Drake played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 6.5 (better than their season average of 16.0) and a free throw rate of 0.182 (matching their season average). Omaha was 21.3 and 0.158, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Golden Gophers’ last game, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Arkansas Razorbacks, 95-79. Jordan Murphy was Minnesota’s high scorer with 20 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Arkansas had an effective field goal percentage of 0.647 (above their season average of 0.545). Minnesota, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.393 (above their season average of 0.277).
The high-powered offense of Minnesota will clash against the porous defense of Drake. Since last season, the Golden Gophers rank 29th in offensive efficiency, while the Bulldogs are 279th in defensive efficiency. The Golden Gophers should have the edge on that side of the ball. ,
Both of these teams have typically finished over the O/U total. Games featuring Drake have finished over 71.4 percent of the time, while Minnesota games have finished over 80.0 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Golden Gophers have a clear advantage. They are 8-3 SU and 6-4 ATS, while the Bulldogs are 5-4 SU and 4-2-1 ATS.
Drake Bulldogs vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Minnesota, ATS Winner – Drake, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Golden Gophers rank eighth in rebounds per game (40.2) while the Bulldogs rank 152nd (34.8).
- Minnesota is 34th in the nation with 5.5 steals allowed per game while Drake is 35th with 6.5 steals allowed per game.
- Minnesota ranks second in blocks per game (6.8) while Drake ranks 177th (2.5).
- The Bulldogs rank 72nd in three pointers attempted per game (25.0) while the Golden Gophers rank 230th (18.1).
- Minnesota averages 15.5 assists per game, which ranks 25th in the nation. Drake ranks 180th in assists allowed per game (14.1).