MVC foes will collide when the UNI Panthers (9-9, 1-5 MVC) clash against the Drake Bulldogs (11-8, 5-1 MVC) at McLeod Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 130.5 points with UNI set as a 5.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Drake Bulldogs vs. UNI Panthers Free Preview
In the Bulldogs last matchup, they defeated the Evansville Aces, 81-65. Nick McGlynn led Drake in scoring with 23 points on 9-for-10 shooting. The Bulldogs had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.625 (above their season average of 0.535) and held the Aces to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.6 (below their season average of 28.4).
The Panthers come in on a high note after topping the Valparaiso Crusaders in their last game, 81-76. With 23 points on 6-for-6 shooting, Tywhon Pickford was the games high scorer. UNI dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.674 (above their season average of 0.182) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.6 (above their season average of 24.3). For those same stats, Valparaiso had marks of 0.136 and 20.0, respectively.
UNI may have trouble getting to the foul line in this contest. The Panthers rank 291st in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.205, while Drake ranks 24th in FTA rate allowed (0.177). Moreover, the Bulldogs rank 288th in offensive rebounding percentage (25.1 percent), while the Panthers rank 28th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.6 percent).
Of Drake’s 16 games that accepted bets, 10 have finished over the projected point total, while 7 of UNI’s 14 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Bulldogs have a clear advantage. They are 11-8 SU and 10-5-1 ATS, while the Panthers are 9-9 SU and 4-9-1 ATS.
McGlynn has really been playing well over the last five games for Drake, averaging 12.8 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Panthers won both contests played against each other last season. In the last contest, UNI won 71-63. UNI did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (20-27; 74.1 percent). Drake, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (26.8 vs. 17.2).
Drake Bulldogs at UNI Panthers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UNI, ATS Winner – UNI, O/U – Over
- UNI is 2-4 ATS at home, while Drake is 6-5-1 ATS on the road.
- The Bulldogs have 7 overs and 5 unders in 12 road games.
- The Panthers have 3 overs and 3 unders in 6 home games.
- Drake ranks 38th in assists per game (16.6) while UNI ranks 235th (11.2).
- The Panthers average 21.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 143rd in the NCAA. The Bulldogs rank 202nd in three pointers allowed per game (24.2).
- UNI averages 36.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 133rd in the nation. Drake ranks 140th in rebounds allowed per game (35.2).
- UNI is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Drake is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Panthers have been outscored by an average of 5.8 points in their last five games. On the season, UNI has defeated opponents by an average of 3.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 74.6 points per game (2.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.6 points per game (5.9 below their season average).