The Detroit Titans (6-16, 2-7 Hor) look to put an end to a seven-game road losing streak when they square off against the Northern Kentucky Norse (14-7, 7-2 Hor) at BB&T Arena. Northern Kentucky is a 19-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 160 points. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018.
Detroit Titans at Northern Kentucky Norse Betting Preview
In the Titans last contest, they lost big to the Wright State Raiders, 87-55. With 24 points on 8-for-13 shooting, Kameron Chatman was the games leading scorer. Wright State’s turnover percentage was their largest strength over Detroit. The Raiders had a rate of 14.1 (better than their season average of 17.6), while the Titans posted a mark of 25.4 (above their season average of 16.4).
The Norse are trying to rebound after their 83-70 loss to the Oakland Golden Grizzlies in their last outing. Drew McDonald led Northern Kentucky in scoring with 19 points on 7-for-18 shooting. Oakland had a free throw rate of 0.286 (above their season average of 0.273). Northern Kentucky, on the other hand, held the Golden Grizzlies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.4 (below their season average of 27.1).
Northern Kentucky could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their high-powered offense faces off against one of the nations worst defenses. The Norse currently rank 53rd in offensive efficiency, while Detroit ranks 341st in defensive efficiency.
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Detroit games have gone over 55.0 percent of the time, while games featuring Northern Kentucky have gone under 61.1 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Norse have a substantial advantage. They are 14-7 SU and 12-6 ATS, while the Titans are 6-16 SU and 8-11-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 110 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 166. The Norse won 56-54, but were unable to cover as 12.5-point favorites. The Norse played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.1 and a free throw rate of 0.167. For those same stats, the Titans recorded marks of 19.3 and 0.129, respectively. McDonald was the game’s top overall scorer with 16 points.
Detroit Titans at Northern Kentucky Norse ATS Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Northern Kentucky, ATS Winner – Detroit, O/U – Under
- The Norse rank 17th in steals per game (8.3) while the Titans rank 145th in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- Northern Kentucky ranks 122nd in blocks per game (3.3) while Detroit ranks 169th in blocks allowed per game (4.4).
- On the road, Detroit is 4-7 ATS with 6 overs and 5 unders.
- At home, Northern Kentucky is 5-3 ATS with 6 unders and 2 overs.
- Northern Kentucky ranks 31st in assists per game (16.7) while Detroit ranks 247th in assists allowed per game (16.9).
- The Norse rank 47th in three pointers allowed per game (19.6) while the Titans rank 206th (23.7).
- Northern Kentucky ranks 99th in rebounds allowed per game (33.9) while Detroit ranks 256th (38.9).
- Northern Kentucky is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Norse’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.6, down from 13.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Titans have scored an average of 77.0 points per game (3.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 87.0 points per game (0.3 below their season average).