The Detroit Pistons (30-36) will attempt to snap the six-game winning streak of Utah when they head to Vivint Smart Home Arena to square off against the Jazz (37-30). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 198 points with Utah opening as a 7.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 13, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Detroit Pistons vs. Utah Jazz Betting Preview
In the Pistons’ last outing, they beat the Chicago Bulls, 99-83. Blake Griffin was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Detroit played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.173 (above their season average of 0.170) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.525 (above their season average of 0.509). For those same stats, Chicago was 0.086 and 0.403, respectively.
The Jazz hope to keep it rolling after defeating the New Orleans Pelicans in their last game, 116-99. Utah was lifted by Ricky Rubio, who was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 10-for-22 shooting. Utah played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.250 (above their season average of 0.199) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 (above their season average of 20.6). New Orleans was 0.118 and 20.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Utah figures to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Jazz currently rank eighth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.512), while Detroit is 23rd in effective field goal percentage (0.509).
Of Detroit’s 66 games, 36 have finished under the O/U total, while 36 of Utah’s 67 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Jazz have a sizable advantage. They are 37-30 SU and 36-31 ATS, while the Pistons are 30-36 SU and 29-35-2 ATS.
Rudy Gobert has been superb as of late for Utah, averaging 18.0 points, 13.8 rebounds, 2.4 blocks and 1.6 steals over the last five games.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 193 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 198. The Jazz won 98-95, covering as 3-point underdogs. The Jazz dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.0 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.448. The Pistons had marks of 15.3 and 0.428, respectively, for those same stats. In the loss, Andre Drummond had a double-double with 30 points and 24 rebounds.
Detroit Pistons at Utah Jazz Free Prediction
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Under
- The Jazz rank third in steals per game (8.7) while the Pistons rank 17th (7.5).
- Utah ranks fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (42.1) while Detroit ranks ninth (42.9).
- Detroit ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.0) while Utah ranks 16th (16.3).
- Detroit is 14-16-1 ATS on the road, while Utah is 18-14 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 18 of the Pistons’ 31 road games, while 20 of the Jazz’s 32 home games have gone under.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Utah is 25-5 and Detroit is 16-6.
- The Pistons are 26-16 when they reach 100 points, while the Jazz are 28-11.
- The Jazz rank 13th in three pointers attempted per game (29.3) while the Pistons rank 20th in three pointers allowed per game (30.1).
- Utah ranks first in assists allowed per game (20.0) while Detroit ranks 26th (24.9).
- The Pistons rank 10th in second chance points per game (13.0) while the Jazz rank 26th (10.5).
- The Pistons allow the fewest fast break points per game (9.2) while the Jazz rank third (9.9).
- Utah ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.9) while Detroit ranks 27th (3.8).
- Utah is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Jazz’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.0, up from 2.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 102.0 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 107.2 points per game (3.1 above their season average).