The Dallas Mavericks (8-23) will be at home in American Airlines Center when they meet the Detroit Pistons (17-13). Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Detroit Pistons at Dallas Mavericks ATS Preview
The Pistons were victorious over the Orlando Magic in their last matchup, 114-110. Reggie Bullock was Detroit’s high scorer with 20 points on 8-for-10 shooting. The Pistons forced 16 turnovers, while the Magic had a free throw rate of 0.129 (below their season average of 0.177).
In the Mavericks last game, they were topped by the Phoenix Suns, 97-91. Harrison Barnes was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 11-for-21 shooting. Phoenix was lights out from beyond the arc (10-25; 40.0 percent). Dallas, meanwhile, forced the Suns into a turnover percentage of 16.9 (above their season average of 13.5).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when a pair of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Dallas currently ranks 23rd in possessions per game (97.4) and Detroit is 22nd (98.0).
Both of these teams have typically gone under the O/U total. Games involving Detroit have gone under 60.0 percent of the time, while Dallas games have finished under 58.1 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Pistons have a sizable advantage. They are 17-13 SU and 18-10-2 ATS, while the Mavericks are 8-23 SU and 14-17 ATS.
Yogi Ferrell has really been playing well over the last five games for Dallas, averaging 12.2 points, 5.2 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Pistons won both matchups last season. In the last matchup, Detroit won 98-91. The Pistons played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.9 and a free throw rate of 0.244. For those same stats, the Mavericks were 9.8 and 0.120, respectively.
Detroit Pistons vs. Dallas Mavericks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank 13th in steals per game (8.0) while the Mavericks rank 26th (6.8).
- Detroit ranks 14th in rebounds allowed per game (42.9) while Dallas ranks 26th (46.0).
- Dallas ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (31.8) while Detroit ranks 17th (29.3).
- Neither of these teams are great at blocking the ball. Dallas is 28th in the NBA with 3.6 blocks per game while Detroit is 29th with 3.4 blocks per game.
- Dallas is 7-10 ATS at home, while Detroit is 11-4-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 9 of the Mavericks 17 home games, while 11 of the Pistons 16 road games have gone under.
- When allowing under 100 points, Detroit is 9-4 and Dallas is 7-8.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Pistons are 15-4 and the Mavericks are 5-8.
- The Pistons rank 17th in points in the paint per game (42.3) while the Mavericks rank 29th (37.4).
- Detroit ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (8.7) while Dallas ranks 29th (14.6).
- The Pistons rank eighth in points off turnovers per game (18.3) while the Mavericks rank last (13.4).
- The Mavericks average 21.4 assists per game, which ranks 22nd in the league. The Pistons rank 24th in assists allowed per game (24.4).
- Detroit ranks ninth in second chance points per game (13.5) while Dallas ranks 25th (9.9).
- Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Mavericks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.4, up from 3.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 97.6 points per game (5.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 98.6 points per game (3.4 below their season average).