The Detroit Pistons (22-25), who are currently on a seven-game losing streak, will attempt to get back in the win column when they travel to Quicken Loans Arena to go head-to-head against the Cleveland Cavaliers (28-19). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 215.5 points with Cleveland opening as an 8-point favorite. Action begins at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Ohio.
Detroit Pistons at Cleveland Cavaliers Free Preview
In the Pistons last matchup, they were beaten by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 121-108. Detroit’s Andre Drummond put together a solid game, recording 12 points and 13 rebounds. Oklahoma City had a turnover percentage of 8.0 (better than their season average of 12.3). Detroit, on the other hand, did a great job of converting from the free throw line (18-24; 75.0 percent).
The Cavaliers will look to maintain momentum after defeating the Indiana Pacers in their last contest, 115-108. Cleveland’s LeBron James played an enormous role in the victory, racking up 26 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds on his way to his seventh triple-double of the year. Cleveland played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.122 (below their season average of 0.224) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.6 (above their season average of 20.2). For those same stats, Indiana put up marks of 0.099 and 18.2, respectively.
The sharp-shooting offense of Cleveland (fourth in the NBA with an effective field goal percentage 0.545) will go head-to-head against the mid-tier defense of Detroit (18th in effective field goal percentage allowed 0.528). The Cavaliers should have the advantage on that end of the court. Additionally, the Pistons, who rank 28th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.164), could struggle to get to the line against the Cavaliers, who rank first in opponents FTA rate (0.160).
Of Detroit’s 46 games that accepted bets, 27 have finished under the projected point total, while 24 of Cleveland’s 47 games have finished over the O/U total. The Cavaliers hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (28-19 vs. 22-25), but the Pistons have the better against the spread (ATS) record (24-20-2 vs. 13-33-1).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Pistons, it’s been Drummond, who has averaged 17.0 rebounds, 15.8 points, 4.6 assists, 2.4 steals and 2.0 blocks, while the Cavaliers have received great contributions from Isaiah Thomas (16.4 points and 3.4 assists).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 204 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 217.5. The Cavaliers won 116-88, covering as 2-point favorites. The Cavaliers dominated every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.200 and a turnover percentage of 11.2. The Pistons were 0.091 and 14.5, respectively, for those same stats. Kevin Love put up a double-double in the victory with 19 points and 11 rebounds.
Detroit Pistons at Cleveland Cavaliers Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Cavaliers average 23.5 assists per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. The Pistons rank 26th in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- Detroit ranks 16th in points in the paint per game (43.4) while Cleveland ranks 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (46.8).
- Detroit ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.8) while Cleveland ranks 18th (17.0).
- Detroit averages 42.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 19th in the league. Cleveland ranks 21st in rebounds allowed per game (44.0).
- Cleveland is 4-18-1 ATS at home, while Detroit is 14-9-1 ATS on the road.
- The Pistons have 15 unders, 8 overs and 1 push in 24 road games.
- In 23 home games, the Cavaliers have 12 overs, 10 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Cleveland is 10-2 and Detroit is 12-6.
- The Cavaliers are 28-11 when they reach 100 points, while the Pistons are 19-11.
- The Pistons rank second in fast break points allowed per game (8.5) while the Cavaliers rank 14th (11.4).
- Cleveland ranks fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.0) while Detroit ranks 23rd (5.2).
- The Pistons rank 12th in three pointers allowed per game (28.4) while the Cavaliers rank 29th (31.9).
- The Pistons average 7.8 steals per game, which ranks 15th in the NBA. The Cavaliers rank 17th in steals allowed per game (7.9).
- Detroit ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.7) while Cleveland ranks 20th (12.9).
- Cleveland is 1-4 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Cavaliers have been outscored by an average of 7.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Cleveland has defeated opponents by an average of 0.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 101.2 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 107.6 points per game (5.1 above their season average).