The Detroit Pistons (14-13), who are currently on a seven-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they head to Philips Arena to meet the Atlanta Hawks (6-21). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 207 points with Detroit opening as a 3.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 14, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Detroit Pistons at Atlanta Hawks Free Preview
The last time the Pistons played, they lost big to the Denver Nuggets, 103-84. Detroit’s Boban Marjanovic contributed 14 points and five rebounds in the contest. Denver held the Pistons to an effective field goal percentage of 0.411 (below their season average of 0.515). Detroit, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (19-22; 86.4 percent).
The Hawks are trying to rebound after their 123-114 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers in their last contest. Taurean Prince was Atlanta’s high scorer with 24 points on 8-for-10 shooting. Cleveland made 20 of their 38 three pointers (52.6 percent). Atlanta, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (12-13; 92.3 percent).
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Atlanta. Atlanta ranks 23rd in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.2 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Detroit forces the fifth-most turnovers in the league (15.7 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games including Detroit have finished under 59.3 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Atlanta games have finished over. The Pistons come into this game with a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 14-13 SU and 16-9-2 ATS, while the Hawks are 6-21 SU and 14-12-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 215 points in that game, which was just over the projected point total of 210. The Pistons won 111-104, but were unable to cover as 8-point favorites. One of Detroit’s biggest strengths was getting to the charity stripe. They had 27 free throw attempts, while Atlanta had just 11. Andre Drummond put up a double-double in the victory with 16 points and 20 rebounds.
Detroit Pistons vs. Atlanta Hawks ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.0) while the Hawks rank 19th (17.7).
- Detroit ranks 19th in rebounds per game (42.4) while Atlanta ranks 26th (40.1).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (8.6) while Atlanta ranks 14th (11.0).
- Detroit averages 42.7 points in the paint per game, which ranks 17th in the league. Atlanta ranks 20th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.0).
- Atlanta is 6-6 ATS at home, while Detroit is 9-4-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 8 of the Hawks 12 home games, while 9 of the Pistons 14 road games have gone under.
- Detroit is 7-4 when they allow under 100 points, while Atlanta is 1-2.
- The Hawks are 6-13 when they reach 100 points, while the Pistons are 12-4.
- The Hawks rank fifth in steals per game (8.7) while the Pistons rank 16th (7.9).
- Detroit ranks sixth in second chance points allowed per game (10.7) while Atlanta ranks 27th (13.9).
- The Pistons rank eighth in three pointers allowed per game (27.0) while the Hawks rank 28th (32.7).
- Neither of these teams are great at blocking the ball. The Hawks are 25th in the league with 3.8 blocks per game while the Pistons are 29th with 3.2 blocks per game.
- Atlanta averages 23.3 assists per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. Detroit ranks 25th in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- Atlanta is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 push.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.0, up from 5.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 91.2 points per game (11.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 99.2 points per game (3.1 below their season average).