The Toronto Raptors (29-13) will be at home in Air Canada Centre when they challenge the Detroit Pistons (22-20). Toronto is an 8.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 213 points. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Detroit Pistons vs. Toronto Raptors Betting Preview
The Pistons fell to the Charlotte Hornets in their last outing, 118-107. Detroit’s Ish Smith recorded 19 points and 10 assists in the contest. Charlotte held the Pistons to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.0 (below their season average of 23.2). Detroit, meanwhile, was lights out from beyond the arc (15-29; 51.7 percent).
In the Raptors last matchup, they were defeated by the Philadelphia 76ers, 117-111. DeMar DeRozan led Toronto in scoring with 24 points on 8-for-18 shooting. Philadelphia did a great job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (31-38; 81.6 percent). Toronto, on the other hand, forced the 76ers into a turnover percentage of 17.7 (above the 13.5 mark opponents have averaged against Toronto this season).
Based on historical performance heading into this one, ball protection could play an integral role in this battle. Toronto commits the fourth-fewest miscues in the NBA (turnover percentage of 12.8 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Detroit forces the fifth-most (opponents turnover percentage of 15.4 percent). ,
Of Detroit’s 42 games, 24 have finished under the O/U total, while 23 of Toronto’s 42 games have finished over the O/U total. The Raptors have the better straight up (SU) record (29-13 vs. 22-20), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Toronto is 24-18, while Detroit is 23-17-2 ATS.
Avery Bradley has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Detroit, averaging 15.8 points and 3.2 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Raptors won three out of four games played against each other last season. In the last contest, Toronto won 105-102. Toronto had a better turnover percentage (10.5 vs. 13.6). Detroit, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (29.3 vs. 17.5).
Detroit Pistons vs. Toronto Raptors ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Over
- The Raptors rank 11th in assists per game (22.8) while the Pistons rank 26th in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- Toronto ranks first in points off turnovers per game (19.3) while Detroit ranks 10th (17.4).
- Toronto ranks third in points in the paint per game (48.9) while Detroit ranks 17th (43.0).
- Detroit is 13-9-1 ATS on the road with 14 unders, 8 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Toronto is 11-7 ATS with 10 overs and 8 unders.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Detroit and Toronto are both 12-4.
- The Raptors are 28-7 when they reach 100 points, while the Pistons are 19-8.
- The Raptors rank fifth in three pointers attempted per game (32.0) while the Pistons rank 18th (28.3).
- Toronto ranks second in blocks per game (5.9) while Detroit ranks last (3.5).
- The Pistons rank second in fast break points allowed per game (8.4) while the Raptors rank 23rd (12.6).
- Detroit ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.3) while Toronto ranks 21st (13.1).
- Toronto is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Raptors average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.2, down from 7.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 108.6 points per game (6.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 103.6 points per game (1.7 above their season average).