The Phoenix Suns (19-52) and the Detroit Pistons (31-39) clash at Talking Stick Resort Arena. The Suns look to snap their eight-game losing streak. The game can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit at 10 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 20, 2018.
Detroit Pistons at Phoenix Suns ATS Odds
In their last contest, the Suns were beaten by the Golden State Warriors, 124-109, while the Pistons beat the Sacramento Kings, 106-90.
Detroit dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.228 (above their season average of 0.169) and a turnover percentage of 9.2 (better than their season average of 12.1). For those same stats, Sacramento was 0.045 and 12.4, respectively. Phoenix, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.244 (above their season average of 0.208). Phoenix rallied around Josh Jackson, who contributed 36 points and six rebounds. Blake Griffin led the way for Detroit, recording 26 points, nine rebounds and seven assists.
This game should be a showdown of conflicting paces. Phoenix likes to play quickly (third in possessions per game), while Detroit is more half-court-oriented (21st in possessions per game).
Vegas is known to place the total high when the Pistons are involved, as 38 of their 69 games have ended under the total. Detroit holds records of 31-39 straight up (SU) and 30-37-2 against the spread (ATS).
In opposition of Detroit, Suns games have finished over the projected point total 49.3 percent of the time. Additionally, Phoenix owns records of 19-52 SU and 31-38-2 ATS.
In their first matchup this year, Tobias Harris led the Pistons to a 131-107 victory. He produced 20 points and seven rebounds. Detroit covered as a 12-point favorite and the two teams combined to score 238 points, which was well over the projected point total of 217. Detroit was lights out from beyond the arc (13-28; 46.4 percent). Phoenix, meanwhile, did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (22-28; 78.6 percent).
Detroit Pistons vs. Phoenix Suns Pick
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Under
- The Pistons average 12.7 second chance points per game, which ranks 14th in the league. The Suns rank 21st in second chance points allowed per game (13.1).
- Detroit ranks first in fast break points allowed per game (9.5) while Phoenix ranks 29th (14.8).
- The Pistons rank 10th in steals allowed per game (7.4) while the Suns rank 27th (8.7).
- Phoenix ranks 14th in assists allowed per game (23.1) while Detroit ranks 27th (24.9).
- Detroit ranks 17th in rebounds allowed per game (43.6) while Phoenix ranks 27th (45.7).
- The Pistons rank seventh in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.1) while the Suns rank 29th (18.9).
- The Pistons rank 18th in blocks allowed per game (5.0) while the Suns rank 28th (5.9).
- Detroit ranks eighth in points allowed in the paint per game (43.1) while Phoenix ranks 26th (47.6).
- When allowing under 100 points, Phoenix is 6-2 and Detroit is 17-6.
- The Pistons are 27-17 when they reach 100 points, while the Suns are 15-32.
- Detroit is 15-18-1 ATS on the road, while Phoenix is 12-22-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 20 of the Pistons’ 34 road games, while 18 of the Suns’ 35 home games have gone over.
- The Pistons are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Suns are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Detroit has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Phoenix has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pistons’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.8, up from 1.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 101.2 points per game (3.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 121.2 points per game (7.3 above their season average).