The Philadelphia 76ers (18-19) will be at home in Wells Fargo Center when they challenge the Detroit Pistons (20-16). Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Detroit Plus.
Detroit Pistons vs. Philadelphia 76ers Betting Preview
The Pistons were beaten by the Miami Heat in their last matchup, 111-104. Detroit’s Boban Marjanovic finished with 15 points and nine rebounds in the game. Miami held the Pistons to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.8 (below their season average of 23.8). Detroit, on the other hand, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (13-16; 81.3 percent).
The last time the 76ers played, they beat the San Antonio Spurs, 112-106. Philadelphia rallied around Joel Embiid, who finished with 21 points and 11 rebounds. Philadelphia dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.412 (above their season average of 0.198) and a turnover percentage of 11.6 (better than their season average of 15.3). For those same stats, San Antonio was 0.230 and 13.4, respectively.
It will be a showdown of conflicting styles as the fast-paced 76ers will look to push the slower-paced Pistons. The 76ers rank second in possessions per game while the Pistons are 22nd.
Of Detroit’s 36 games, 21 have finished under the O/U total, while 20 of Philadelphia’s 37 games have finished over the projected point total. The Pistons have the superior straight up (SU) record (20-16 vs. 18-19), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Detroit is 20-14-2 ATS, while Philadelphia is 20-17 ATS.
Reggie Bullock has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Detroit, averaging 12.8 points per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the 76ers winning both. Robert Covington put up 25 points and eight rebounds in the most recent matchup, in which the 76ers beat the Pistons 108-103, covering as 4-point favorites. The two teams combined for 211 points, which was just 2 points below the projected point total of 213 points. Philadelphia had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (37.0 vs. 18.9). Detroit, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.494 vs. 0.465).
Detroit Pistons at Philadelphia 76ers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank ninth in steals allowed per game (7.1) while the 76ers rank 28th (9.2).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (8.1) while Philadelphia ranks 10th (10.3).
- Philadelphia ranks first in rebounds per game (47.6) while Detroit ranks 19th (42.4).
- On the road, Detroit is 11-7-1 ATS with 12 unders, 6 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Philadelphia is 9-8 ATS with 9 unders and 8 overs.
- Detroit is 11-4 when they allow less than 100 points, while Philadelphia is 5-0.
- The 76ers are 17-12 when they reach 100 points, while the Pistons are 17-5.
- The Pistons rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (10.7) while the 76ers rank 20th (13.1).
- Detroit ranks third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.4) while Philadelphia ranks 29th (19.2).
- The 76ers rank eighth in blocks per game (5.1) while the Pistons rank 28th (3.3).
- The Pistons average 28.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 16th in the NBA. The 76ers rank 19th in three pointers allowed per game (29.4).
- Philadelphia ranks third in assists per game (26.1) while Detroit ranks 23rd in assists allowed per game (24.0).
- Philadelphia is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The 76ers have outscored opponents by an average of 5.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Philadelphia has lost by an average of 0.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 99.4 points per game (2.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 95.2 points per game (6.1 below their season average).