The Orlando Magic (11-24), who are currently riding a nine-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they welcome the Detroit Pistons (19-14) to Amway Center. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Detroit Pistons vs. Orlando Magic Odds Preview
In the Pistons last outing, they easily got past the Indiana Pacers, 107-83. With 21 points and 18 rebounds, Andre Drummond had a solid game for Detroit. Detroit dominated every facet of the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 32.3 (above their season average of 24.0) and a free throw rate of 0.159 (matching their season average). Indiana recorded marks of 12.2 and 0.117, respectively, for those same stats.
The Magic are trying to rebound after their 107-89 loss to the Miami Heat in their last outing. Elfrid Payton led Orlando in scoring with 19 points on 9-for-18 shooting. Miami had an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 18.8). Orlando, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (18-22; 81.8 percent).
Opposite tempos will be on display in this showdown. Orlando prefers an up-tempo style of play (seventh in possessions per game), while Detroit is more half-court-oriented (22nd in possessions per game).
Of Detroit’s 33 games, 19 have finished under the projected point total, while 18 of Orlando’s 35 games have finished under the O/U total. The Pistons hold a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 19-14 SU and 19-12-2 ATS, while the Magic are 11-24 SU and 12-22-1 ATS.
Payton has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Orlando, averaging 16.6 points, 6.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 224 points, well over the projected point total of 204.5. The Pistons won 114-110, but were unable to cover as 9-point favorites. Detroit had a better turnover percentage (11.9 vs. 14.7). Orlando, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (20.0 vs. 17.9). In the loss, Nikola Vucevic had a double-double with 24 points and 14 rebounds.
Detroit Pistons vs. Orlando Magic Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while the Magic rank 22nd (18.0).
- Orlando ranks 15th in blocks per game (4.8) while Detroit ranks last (3.4).
- Detroit ranks 11th in rebounds allowed per game (42.5) while Orlando ranks 28th (46.7).
- Orlando is 4-11 ATS at home, while Detroit is 11-5-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Pistons 17 road games, while 9 of the Magic’s 15 home games have gone under.
- Orlando is 5-2 when they allow below 100 points, while Detroit is 10-4.
- The Magic are 11-12 when they score over 100 points, while the Pistons are 17-4.
- The Magic rank ninth in assists per game (23.0) while the Pistons rank 25th in assists allowed per game (24.1).
- Detroit ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (10.5) while Orlando ranks 27th (13.6).
- The Pistons rank seventh in points allowed in the paint per game (41.8) while the Magic rank 28th (48.6).
- The Pistons rank 13th in steals per game (7.8) while the Magic rank 23rd in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (8.2) while Orlando ranks 22nd (12.2).
- Orlando is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Magic’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 16.2, up from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 104.4 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 100.4 points per game (1.2 below their season average).