Central Division foes will clash when the Indiana Pacers (16-12) meet the Detroit Pistons (15-13) at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 209 points with Indiana opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 15, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Detroit Plus.
Detroit Pistons vs. Indiana Pacers Odds Preview
The Pistons were victorious over the Atlanta Hawks in their last outing, 105-91. With 12 points, 19 rebounds and eight assists, Detroit’s Andre Drummond put together a solid outing. The Pistons had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 34.1 (above their season average of 23.9) and had a better turnover percentage (13.6 vs. 16.4).
The last time the Pacers played, they were beaten by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 100-95. With 11 points, 10 rebounds and seven steals, Thaddeus Young played well for Indiana. Oklahoma City had a much better free throw rate (0.170 vs. 0.045). Indiana, meanwhile, held the Thunder to an effective field goal percentage of 0.483 (below the 0.533 mark opponents have averaged against Indiana this season).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Indiana should have a substantial advantage. The elite Pacers offense ranks sixth in the league in that metric at 0.538, while the Detroit defense is ranked 21st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.527). Furthermore, the Pistons, who rank 28th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.167), will face off against the Pacers, who rank first in opponents FTA rate (0.151).
Of Detroit’s 27 games with betting action, 16 have finished under the O/U total, while 14 of Indiana’s 28 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (15-13 for Detroit; 16-12 for Indiana), but the Pacers hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). Indiana is 17-11 ATS, while the Pistons are 16-9-2.
Young has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Indiana, averaging 14.6 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
These two teams have already met twice this season, each winning once. Victor Oladipo scored a game-high 21 points in the most recent contest, in which the Pacers defeated the Pistons 107-100, covering as 1.5-point favorites. He also had 15 rebounds. The two teams combined for 207 points, which was just 4.5 points below the projected point total of 211.5 points. The Pacers played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.157 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 28.9. The Pistons were 0.086 and 22.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Detroit Pistons at Indiana Pacers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pacers rank 10th in assists per game (23.1) while the Pistons rank 26th in assists allowed per game (24.4).
- Detroit averages 29.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 17th in the league. Indiana ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (30.9).
- Indiana ranks 20th in blocks per game (4.5) while Detroit ranks last (3.2).
- Detroit is 9-4-1 ATS on the road, while Indiana is 9-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 9 of the Pistons 14 road games, while 9 of the Pacers 15 home games have gone under.
- Indiana is 7-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Detroit is 8-4.
- The Pistons are 13-4 when they reach 100 points, while the Pacers are 14-5.
- The Pacers rank second in points off turnovers per game (19.4) while the Pistons rank 10th (18.0).
- Detroit ranks fifth in second chance points allowed per game (10.6) while Indiana ranks 27th (14.0).
- The Pistons rank sixth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.4) while the Pacers rank 26th (48.1).
- The Pistons rank 19th in rebounds per game (42.6) while the Pacers rank 20th in rebounds allowed per game (44.0).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (8.4) while Indiana ranks 18th (11.6).
- Indiana is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 push.
- The Pacers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.8, up from 1.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 93.6 points per game (8.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 98.2 points per game (3.7 below their season average).