An eight-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the Boston Celtics (18-3) when they meet the Detroit Pistons (12-6) at TD Garden. Boston opened as a 6.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 198.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, November 27, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Detroit Pistons vs. Boston Celtics Free Preview
The Pistons edged the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last outing, 99-98. Andre Drummond led Detroit in scoring with 17 points on 8-for-14 shooting. The Pistons were 7-9 from the foul line (77.8 percent) and held the Thunder to an effective field goal percentage of 0.469 (below the 0.531 mark opponents have averaged against Detroit this season).
In the Celtics last game, they beat the Indiana Pacers, 108-98. Al Horford played a pivotal role for Boston with 21 points, six assists and five rebounds. The Celtics forced 19 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.625 (above their season average of 0.497).
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams face off. Boston currently ranks 24th in possessions per game (98.5) and Detroit is 26th (97.8).
Of Detroit’s 18 games, 10 have finished under the O/U total, while 11 of Boston’s 21 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Celtics have a sizable advantage. They are 18-3 SU and 17-3-1 ATS, while the Pistons are 12-6 SU and 12-5-1 ATS.
Kyrie Irving has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Boston, averaging 29.2 points, 4.6 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Celtics won three out of four meetings played against each other last season. In the last contest, Boston won 104-98. The Celtics played a nearly flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.282 and a turnover percentage of 12.5. The Pistons had marks of 0.198 and 15.0, respectively, for those same stats.
Detroit Pistons vs. Boston Celtics Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank 20th in blocks per game (4.3) while the Pistons rank 27th (3.4).
- Boston ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (9.8) while Detroit ranks fifth (10.1).
- Boston ranks 19th in assists per game (21.8) while Detroit ranks 23rd in assists allowed per game (23.8).
- Boston averages 46.3 rebounds per game, which ranks sixth in the league. Detroit ranks eighth in rebounds allowed per game (42.3).
- Detroit is 7-2 ATS on the road with 6 unders and 3 overs.
- Boston is 7-1-1 ATS at home with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- Boston is 14-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Detroit is 7-2.
- The Celtics are 13-1 when they reach the century mark, while the Pistons are 10-2.
- The Celtics rank fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.1) while the Pistons rank eighth (26.9).
- Detroit ranks seventh in points off turnovers per game (18.7) while Boston ranks 26th (14.7).
- The Pistons rank 15th in points in the paint per game (43.9) while the Celtics rank 28th (38.5).
- The Celtics rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (8.3) while the Pistons rank seventh (9.2).
- Boston ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.5) while Detroit ranks eighth (7.6).
- Boston is 4-1 ATS with 5 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Celtics average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.6, down from 7.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 96.4 points per game (7.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.4 points per game (1.6 above their season average).