The Atlanta Hawks (17-39) will be at home in Philips Arena when they square off against the Detroit Pistons (27-27). Detroit is a 3.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 209.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 11, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Detroit Plus.
Detroit Pistons vs. Atlanta Hawks ATS Preview
In the Pistons last contest, they lost to the Los Angeles Clippers, 108-95. Detroit’s Andre Drummond had a solid game, recording 12 points and 17 rebounds. Los Angeles rebounding was their biggest strength. The Clippers had 14 offensive rebounds and 57 total rebounds, while the Pistons had seven and 40, respectively.
The Hawks are trying to rebound after their 123-107 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers in their last game. Dennis Schroder led Atlanta in scoring with 25 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Cleveland had a turnover percentage of 8.5 (better than their season average of 13.0). Atlanta, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (17-19; 89.5 percent).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Atlanta. Atlanta ranks 28th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.0 percent), while the gambling defense of Detroit forces the sixth-most turnovers in the NBA (14.9 percent).
Of Detroit’s 54 games, 29 have finished under the projected point total, while 29 of Atlanta’s 56 games have finished under the projected point total. The Pistons have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (27-27 vs. 17-39), but both teams are close to the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Drummond has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Detroit, averaging 20.2 rebounds, 18.4 points, 3.6 assists, 2.8 steals and 2.6 blocks per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Pistons winning both. In the most recent game, the Hawks lost 105-91, unable to cover as 4-point underdogs. Ersan Ilyasova scored a game-high 23 points. The two teams combined for 196 points, which was 9 points below the projected point total of 205 points. Detroit had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.1 vs. 17.9). Atlanta, meanwhile, had a much better free throw rate (0.229 vs. 0.111).
Detroit Pistons vs. Atlanta Hawks Betting Prediction
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while the Hawks rank 21st (17.1).
- Atlanta ranks 21st in blocks per game (4.3) while Detroit ranks 28th (3.7).
- Detroit ranks 14th in points in the paint per game (44.5) while Atlanta ranks 28th (40.2).
- Detroit ranks 19th in rebounds per game (42.7) while Atlanta ranks 25th (40.8).
- Detroit is 14-10-1 ATS on the road with 15 unders, 9 overs and 1 push.
- Atlanta is 15-14 ATS at home with 14 overs, 14 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Detroit is 13-6 and Atlanta is 9-3.
- The Hawks are 15-23 when they reach 100 points, while the Pistons are 24-12.
- The Pistons rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (11.0) while the Hawks rank 18th (12.9).
- Detroit ranks sixth in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Atlanta ranks 26th (8.6).
- The Pistons rank second in fast break points allowed per game (8.8) while the Hawks rank 22nd (12.4).
- The Hawks average 29.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. The Pistons rank 16th in three pointers allowed per game (29.4).
- Atlanta ranks sixth in assists per game (23.9) while Detroit ranks 26th in assists allowed per game (24.4).
- Atlanta is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hawks have outscored opponents by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Atlanta has lost by an average of 4.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 107.2 points per game (4.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 102.8 points per game (0.3 below their season average).