The Detroit Pistons (36-33), 6.5-point favorites, will be at Quicken Loans Arena to go head-to-head with the Cleveland Cavaliers (17-53) in a Central Division matchup. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 214 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Ohio at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, March 18, 2019.
Detroit Pistons at Cleveland Cavaliers Betting Odds
In their last matchup, the Cavaliers (5-point underdogs) fell to the Dallas Mavericks, 121-116, while The Pistons (12.5-point favorites) barely escaped the Toronto Raptors, 110-107. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Cleveland game went 20 points over the projected point total of 217, while the Detroit game went 2 points over the projected point total of 215.
Detroit dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.289 (above their season average of 0.194) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.2 (above their season average of 24.4). Toronto was 0.134 and 17.5, respectively, for those same stats. Cleveland, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of making free throws (21-22; 95.5 percent). Cleveland was led by Kevin Love, who recorded 22 points and 12 rebounds. Meanwhile, Andre Drummond had a solid performance for Detroit, putting up 15 points and 17 rebounds.
In their three matchups this year, the Pistons have won all three. The two teams combined for 222 points in their most recent game, which was over the projected point total of 214. Detroit won 129-93, covering as an 8-point favorite. The Pistons’ offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over the Cavaliers. Detroit had a rate of 27.3, while Cleveland posted a mark of 17.6. Luke Kennard scored a game-high 26 points.
A little over half of the Pistons’ games have finished under the total. Detroit holds records of 36-33 straight up (SU) and 34-33-1 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Detroit, games including the Cavaliers have a slight tendency to finish over the O/U total (52.9 percent). Moreover, Cleveland owns records of 17-53 SU and 32-36-2 ATS.
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams face off. Cleveland currently ranks 29th in possessions per game (98.6) and Detroit is 22nd (100.8).
Detroit Pistons at Cleveland Cavaliers ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank 26th in assists per game (22.6) while the Cavaliers rank 29th (20.9).
- Detroit ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (28.2) while Cleveland ranks 12th (31.1).
- The Pistons rank second in second chance points allowed per game (10.9) while the Cavaliers rank 11th (13.1).
- Detroit ranks 23rd in steals per game (6.8) while Cleveland ranks 29th (6.5).
- Cleveland ranks 24th in fast break points per game (10.5) while Detroit ranks 28th (9.7).
- The Pistons rank 20th in points off turnovers per game (15.7) while the Cavaliers rank last (14.0).
- The Pistons rank 22nd in points in the paint per game (45.6) while the Cavaliers rank 26th (43.4).
- Detroit ranks 28th in blocks per game (3.9) while Cleveland ranks 29th (2.5).
- Detroit ranks 15th in rebounds per game (45.3) while Cleveland ranks 25th (42.6).
- When allowing less than 100 points, Detroit is 11-2 and Cleveland is 6-3.
- When reaching the century mark, the Pistons are 33-20 and the Cavaliers are 15-26.
- Cleveland is 16-19 ATS at home, while Detroit is 16-17 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 21 of the Cavaliers’ 35 home games, while 20 of the Pistons’ 33 road games have gone under.
- The Cavaliers are 2-2-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Pistons are 3-2.
- In their last five games, Cleveland has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Detroit has 4 unders and 1 over.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 108.4 points per game (4.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 114.8 points per game (1.4 above their season average).
- The Pistons’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.4, up from 0.3 for the season.