Big East foes will collide when the Marquette Golden Eagles (12-6, 3-3 Big East) take on the DePaul Blue Demons (8-9, 1-4 Big East) at BMO Harris Bradley Center. Marquette opened as a 10.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 159 points. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018.
DePaul Blue Demons at Marquette Golden Eagles Odds Preview
The Blue Demons were beaten by the Providence Friars in their last matchup, 71-64. With 15 points on 6-for-11 shooting, Marin Maric led DePaul in scoring. Providence had a free throw rate of 0.340 (above their season average of 0.282). DePaul, meanwhile, held the Friars to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below their season average of 29.6).
The last time the Golden Eagles played, they were beaten by the Butler Bulldogs, 94-83. Sam Hauser was Marquette’s high scorer with 30 points on 11-for-17 shooting. Butler had a turnover percentage of 4.1 (better than their season average of 14.3). Marquette, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (17-21; 81.0 percent).
The high-octane offense of Marquette (15th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 118.7) will square off against the mid-tier defense of DePaul (174th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 102.2). The Golden Eagles figure to have the edge on that end of the court.
Of DePaul’s 15 games that accepted bets, eight have finished over the projected point total, while 9 of Marquette’s 16 games have finished over the O/U total. The Golden Eagles have the superior straight up (SU) record (12-6 vs. 8-9), but the Blue Demons hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (9-8 vs. 8-8-1).
Max Strus has been playing at a high level over the last five games for DePaul, averaging 23.0 points, 6.4 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Golden Eagles won both matchups last season. In the last matchup, Marquette won 92-79. Marquette’s 0.346 free throw rate was their biggest strength over DePaul, who had a rate of 0.210.
DePaul Blue Demons at Marquette Golden Eagles Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Marquette, ATS Winner – DePaul, O/U – Over
- The Golden Eagles rank 44th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Blue Demons rank 89th (6.1).
- Marquette ranks 69th in blocks per game (4.1) while DePaul ranks 73rd in blocks allowed per game (3.2).
- DePaul is 5-2 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Marquette is 3-6-1 ATS with 6 unders and 3 overs.
- Marquette ranks 13th in three pointers attempted per game (28.7) while DePaul ranks 237th in three pointers allowed per game (25.2).
- The Blue Demons rank 64th in rebounds per game (38.2) while the Golden Eagles rank 242nd (32.3).
- Marquette ranks 52nd in assists per game (16.1) while DePaul ranks 164th in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- Marquette is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, DePaul is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Golden Eagles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.6, down from 6.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Blue Demons have scored an average of 78.6 points per game (3.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 83.0 points per game (10.7 above their season average).