The Western Illinois Leathernecks (12-14, 3-10 Summit) and Denver Pioneers (13-14, 7-6 Summit) will square off at Western Hall to bring the regular season to a conclusion. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 139.5 points with Denver set as a 2-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Denver Pioneers at Western Illinois Leathernecks Odds Preview
In the Pioneers last matchup, they barely escaped the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles, 66-65. Joe Rosga was Denver’s leading scorer with 13 points on 3-for-8 shooting. The Pioneers held the Golden Eagles to an effective field goal percentage of 0.455 (below the 0.508 mark opponents have averaged against Denver this season) and had a free throw rate of 0.288 (above their season average of 0.226).
The Leathernecks come in on a high note after beating the North Dakota State Bison in their last outing, 82-74. With 29 points on 9-for-14 shooting, Isaac Johnson was the top scorer from either team. The Leathernecks had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 6.7 (better than their season average of 16.4) and had a free throw rate of 0.635 (above their season average of 0.187).
It could be a tough game for Western Illinois on the offensive glass. The Leathernecks are among the NCAA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 336th in offensive rebounding percentage at 21.9 percent. Meanwhile, Denver ranks 33rd in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 75.5 percent.
Of Denver’s 24 games with betting action, 12 have finished over the projected point total, while 12 of Western Illinois 21 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have middling straight up (SU) records (13-14 for Denver; 12-14 for Western Illinois), but the Leathernecks have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Western Illinois is 11-10 ATS, while the Pioneers are 10-13-1.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 128 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 136.5. The Pioneers won 70-58, covering as 7-point favorites. The Pioneers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.644 and a great free throw rate of 0.267. For those same stats, the Leathernecks put up marks of 0.500 and 0.208, respectively. Kobe Webster scored a game-high 22 points.
Denver Pioneers vs. Western Illinois Leathernecks Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Denver, ATS Winner – Western Illinois, O/U – Over
- The Leathernecks are 16th in the nation with 2.4 blocks allowed per game while the Pioneers are 46th with 2.7 blocks allowed per game.
- Western Illinois ranks 222nd in steals per game (4.9) while Denver ranks 242nd (4.2).
- Denver is 4-8-1 ATS on the road with 7 overs, 5 unders and 1 push.
- Western Illinois is 6-4 ATS at home with 7 overs and 3 unders.
- Denver ranks 75th in assists per game (15.0) while Western Illinois ranks 243rd (11.5).
- The Pioneers rank 12th in rebounds allowed per game (30.4) while the Leathernecks rank 147th (34.6).
- Western Illinois ranks 216th in three pointers allowed per game (23.7) while Denver ranks 267th (25.7).
- Western Illinois is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Denver is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Leathernecks have been outscored by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. For the season, Western Illinois has defeated opponents by an average of 1.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Pioneers have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.6 points per game (2.5 above their season average).