Northwest Division foes will battle when the Oklahoma City Thunder (14-15) meet the Denver Nuggets (16-13) at Chesapeake Energy Arena. Oklahoma City is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 208 points. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Oklahoma.
Denver Nuggets vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Odds Preview
The Nuggets defeated the New Orleans Pelicans in their last game, 117-111. With 13 points and 11 rebounds, Denver’s Nikola Jokic had a good outing. The Nuggets held the Pelicans to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.9 (below the 22.4 mark opponents have averaged against Denver this season) and had a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 13.7).
In the Thunder’s last matchup, they were beaten by the New York Knicks, 111-96. Russell Westbrook led Oklahoma City in scoring with 25 points on 9-for-18 shooting. New York did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (21-26; 80.8 percent). Oklahoma City, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.6 (above their season average of 27.0).
Oklahoma City may have trouble getting to the foul line in this showdown. The Thunder rank 21st in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.183, while Denver ranks fourth in FTA rate allowed (0.167). Additionally, the Nuggets rank 23rd in turnover percentage (15.3 percent), while the Thunder rank first in opponents turnover percentage (17.2 percent).
Of Denver’s 29 games, 15 have finished under the O/U total, while 17 of Oklahoma City’s 29 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Nuggets have a substantial advantage. They are 16-13 SU and 12-16-1 ATS, while the Thunder are 14-15 SU and 9-19-1 ATS.
Gary Harris has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Denver, averaging 20.2 points, 4.4 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 196 points, well under the projected point total of 215.5. The Nuggets won 102-94, covering as 2-point underdogs. Denver did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-22; 77.3 percent). Oklahoma City, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (14.3 vs. 16.4). Despite the loss, Carmelo Anthony was the games leading scorer with 28 points.
Denver Nuggets at Oklahoma City Thunder ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Nuggets, O/U – Over
- The Thunder average 14.0 fast break points per game, which ranks sixth in the league. The Nuggets rank 19th in fast break points allowed per game (11.4).
- Denver ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.3) while Oklahoma City ranks ninth (42.1).
- Denver averages 30.3 three pointers per game, which ranks ninth in the league. Oklahoma City ranks 21st in three pointers allowed per game (29.8).
- Oklahoma City is 5-7-1 ATS at home, while Denver is 4-11-1 ATS on the road.
- In 16 road games, the Nuggets have 8 overs and 8 unders.
- The Thunder have 8 unders and 5 overs in 13 home games.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Denver is 7-1 and Oklahoma City is 10-4.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Nuggets are 14-8 and the Thunder are 12-6.
- The Nuggets rank first in second chance points per game (15.5) while the Thunder rank eighth in second chance points allowed per game (11.4).
- Oklahoma City ranks second in points off turnovers per game (19.6) while Denver ranks last in points off turnovers allowed per game (20.2).
- The Thunder rank third in points allowed in the paint per game (40.1) while the Nuggets rank 26th (46.6).
- The Nuggets average 23.4 assists per game, which ranks seventh in the league. The Thunder rank ninth in assists allowed per game (21.6).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (10.0) while Denver ranks 16th in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- Oklahoma City is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Denver is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Thunder have been outscored by an average of 4.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Oklahoma City has defeated opponents by an average of 1.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Nuggets have scored an average of 111.4 points per game (3.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.8 points per game (0.7 below their season average).