The Orlando Magic (11-15) will be at home in Amway Center when they square off against the Denver Nuggets (13-11). Orlando is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 218 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 8, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Denver Nuggets vs. Orlando Magic ATS Preview
The Nuggets were beaten by the New Orleans Pelicans in their last game, 123-114. With 24 points on 8-for-19 shooting, Gary Harris led Denver in scoring. New Orleans had a free throw rate of 0.221 (above their season average of 0.186). Denver, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 8.0 (better than their season average of 13.8).
In the Magic’s last game, they topped the Atlanta Hawks, 110-106. Orlando’s Nikola Vucevic had a good game, recording 22 points and 16 rebounds. Orlando dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.5 (above their season average of 18.8) and a turnover percentage of 13.1 (better than their season average of 13.4). For those same stats, Atlanta was 22.0 and 14.3, respectively.
Getting to the line could be scarce for Orlando in this meeting. The Magic currently rank 23rd in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.181, while Denver ranks second in FTA rate allowed (0.161). Additionally, the Nuggets are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive backboards, ranking first in offensive rebounding percentage (27.2 percent). The Magic, meanwhile, rank 29th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.8 percent).
Of Denver’s 24 games, 13 have finished under the O/U total, while 14 of Orlando’s 26 games have finished over the projected point total. The Nuggets hold the significant advantage straight up (SU) (13-11 vs. 11-15), but the Magic have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (11-14-1 vs. 9-15).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Nuggets, it’s been Harris, who has averaged 17.6 points, 3.4 assists and 2.8 steals, while the Magic have gotten solid contributions from Aaron Gordon (21.8 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.8 steals and 1.6 blocks).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 232 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 217. The Nuggets won 125-107, covering as 9-point favorites. The Nuggets dominated every stat category in the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 31.7 and a free throw rate of 0.241. The Magic had marks of 17.8 and 0.161, respectively, for those same stats. Nikola Jokic put up a double-double in the victory with 12 points and 17 rebounds.
Denver Nuggets at Orlando Magic Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nuggets, ATS Winner – Nuggets, O/U – Over
- The Magic rank fifth in assists per game (23.5) while the Nuggets rank 27th in assists allowed per game (24.6).
- Orlando ranks 20th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.1) while Denver ranks 27th (20.1).
- Denver ranks eighth in rebounds allowed per game (41.9) while Orlando ranks 28th (46.7).
- Orlando ranks 10th in blocks per game (5.2) while Denver ranks 12th in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- Denver is 2-10 ATS on the road with 6 overs and 6 unders.
- Orlando is 4-7 ATS at home with 6 overs and 5 unders.
- Denver and Orlando are both 5-1 when they hold opponents under 100 points.
- The Nuggets are 11-6 when they score over 100 points, while the Magic are 11-9.
- The Magic average 30.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. The Nuggets rank 20th in three pointers allowed per game (30.0).
- Denver ranks first in second chance points per game (15.7) while Orlando ranks 29th in second chance points allowed per game (14.2).
- The Nuggets rank fourth in points in the paint per game (48.5) while the Magic rank 28th in points allowed in the paint per game (49.6).
- The Nuggets rank 15th in steals per game (7.9) while the Magic rank 19th in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- Denver averages 15.2 fast break points per game, which ranks second in the NBA. Orlando ranks 24th in fast break points allowed per game (12.2).
- Orlando is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Denver is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Magic’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.8, down from 3.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nuggets have scored an average of 104.4 points per game (2.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 112.2 points per game (4.5 above their season average).