The Detroit Pistons (14-12), who are currently on a six-game losing streak, will attempt to get back in the win column when they welcome the Denver Nuggets (14-12) to Little Caesars Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 208.5 points with Detroit opening as a 7-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 12, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Denver Nuggets at Detroit Pistons Free Preview
In the Nuggets last outing, they fell to the Indiana Pacers, 126-116. Will Barton put together a good performance for Denver, putting up 21 points, nine assists and six rebounds. Indiana forced the Nuggets into a turnover percentage of 17.1 (above their season average of 13.5). Denver, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.6 (above their season average of 26.8).
The Pistons are hoping for a better outcome after their 91-81 loss to the Boston Celtics in their last game. Tobias Harris was the top scorer from either team with 19 points on 5-for-15 shooting. Boston held the Pistons to an effective field goal percentage of 0.393 (below their season average of 0.519). Detroit, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (8.9 vs. 13.0).
Points at the line could be rare for Detroit in this matchup. The Pistons currently rank 28th in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.166, while Denver ranks third in FTA rate allowed (0.164). It could also be an error-filled game for the Nuggets offense, which ranks 23rd in ball security (turnover percentage of 15.3 percent). They’ll be going up against the top-notch defense of the Pistons, which forces the fifth-most turnovers in the league (15.6 percent).
Of Denver’s 26 games, 14 have finished under the projected point total, while 15 of Detroit’s 26 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (14-12 for Denver; 14-12 for Detroit), but the Pistons have the edge against the spread (ATS). Detroit is 16-8-2 ATS, while the Nuggets are 10-16.
Barton has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Denver, averaging 22.0 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 1.8 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Pistons won both meetings last season. In the most recent game, Detroit won 106-95. Detroit had a much better turnover percentage (8.6 vs. 14.0). Denver, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (14-19; 73.7 percent).
Denver Nuggets vs. Detroit Pistons Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nuggets, ATS Winner – Nuggets, O/U – Under
- The Nuggets rank eighth in assists per game (23.1) while the Pistons rank 22nd in assists allowed per game (24.2).
- Denver averages 44.9 rebounds per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. Detroit ranks 14th in rebounds allowed per game (43.0).
- Denver ranks third in points in the paint per game (48.5) while Detroit ranks 16th (43.2).
- Detroit averages 29.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 17th in the league. Denver ranks 18th in three pointers allowed per game (29.5).
- Denver is 3-11 ATS on the road, while Detroit is 7-4-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 6 of the Pistons 12 home games, while 7 of the Nuggets 14 road games have gone over.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Detroit is 7-4 and Denver is 6-1.
- The Pistons are 12-4 when they score above 100 points, while the Nuggets are 12-7.
- The Nuggets rank first in second chance points per game (15.8) while the Pistons rank 10th (13.3).
- Detroit ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while Denver ranks 29th (20.3).
- The Pistons rank second in fast break points allowed per game (8.4) while the Nuggets rank 19th (11.6).
- The Pistons rank 13th in steals per game (7.9) while the Nuggets rank 18th in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- Denver ranks 15th in blocks per game (4.7) while Detroit ranks 29th (3.3).
- Detroit is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Denver is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pistons have been outscored by an average of 5.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Detroit has defeated opponents by an average of 0.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Nuggets have scored an average of 110.6 points per game (3.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.0 points per game (4.3 above their season average).