The Boston Celtics (23-6), the leagues top scoring defense, will go head-to-head against the Denver Nuggets (15-12) at TD Garden. Action begins at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 13, 2017, and it can be seen on Altitude Sports & Entertainmnt.
Denver Nuggets vs. Boston Celtics Betting Preview
The Nuggets won big over the Detroit Pistons in their last contest, 103-84. Jamal Murray was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 11-for-19 shooting. The Nuggets held the Pistons to an effective field goal percentage of 0.411 (below their season average of 0.515). The Pistons also had a turnover percentage of 18.4 (above their season average of 12.6).
The last time the Celtics played, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Chicago Bulls, 108-85. Al Horford was Boston’s high scorer with 15 points on 6-for-14 shooting. Chicago did an excellent job of making free throws (18-25; 72.0 percent). Boston, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (23.4 vs. 22.2).
Boston may have trouble getting to the free throw line in this battle. The Celtics currently rank 13th in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.207, while Denver ranks third in FTA rate allowed (0.167). Furthermore, the Nuggets rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (27.0 percent), while the Celtics rank fifth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.7 percent).
Of Denver’s 26 games with betting action, 14 have finished under the O/U total, while 15 of Boston’s 29 games have finished under the projected point total. The Celtics hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 23-6 SU and 20-8-1 ATS, while the Nuggets are 15-12 SU and 10-16 ATS.
Will Barton has been exceptional over the last five games for Denver, averaging 18.8 points, 6.6 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Nuggets won both meetings last season. In the most recent matchup, Denver won 119-99. The Nuggets played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 30.6 and a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.600. The Celtics were 18.8 and 0.494, respectively, for those same stats.
Denver Nuggets vs. Boston Celtics Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank fifth in assists allowed per game (20.5) while the Nuggets rank 22nd (24.1).
- Boston ranks seventh in three pointers attempted per game (31.2) while Denver ranks 18th in three pointers allowed per game (29.3).
- Boston ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (6.8) while Denver ranks 17th (8.0).
- Denver is 3-11 ATS on the road, while Boston is 9-4-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Celtics 14 home games, while 7 of the Nuggets 14 road games have gone over.
- Denver is 7-1 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Boston is 17-0.
- The Nuggets are 13-7 when they score over 100 points, while the Celtics are 16-3.
- The Nuggets rank fourth in fast break points per game (15.0) while the Celtics rank 17th (9.7).
- Boston ranks third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while Denver ranks last (20.3).
- The Nuggets rank third in points in the paint per game (48.4) while the Celtics rank 27th (39.3).
- The Nuggets rank eighth in rebounds per game (44.9) while the Celtics rank 13th in rebounds allowed per game (42.6).
- Denver ranks first in second chance points per game (15.6) while Boston ranks 19th (11.9).
- Boston is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Denver is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.4, down from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nuggets have scored an average of 108.2 points per game (1.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.8 points per game (2.0 above their season average).